Sunday, July 13, 2008

Trial blocks

Here are 2 trial blocks that I talked about trying yesterday. One has the wider strip first, and on the other block second. With light centers they will have light edges so they could be alternated light/dark all through the quilt. Because I get headaches with strong storms (barometric pressure changes) I didn't feel so well yesterday and all I got done was the quilting in the border of the flannel quilt, the trimming, and cutting the binding. I still have echoes of the headache today so I may just do some more cutting of Kaffe fabrics.

A friend gave me 2 lilies about 3 years and and this year they are just filled with blooms. This little flower bed has 2 Rose of Sharon bushes with lavender flowers, so I hope the lilies will still be blooming when the lavender blossoms start. It is a beautiful, low humidity, cool day here in Illinois.

One last thing about sewing machine needles that I should have mentioned in my first post about them: if you have a Singer machine with a drop in bobbin you may only be able to use Singer brand needles. Other needles may cause skipped stitches. You should never use Singer brand needles in any other machine because it could damage the hook area of your machine. Unfortunately Singer does not make as large a variety of needles to choose from.

9 comments:

Cathi said...

Those Kaffe Fassett fabrics are making some fabulous blocks! I love the look of what you've done so far.

I get migraines with barometric changes too and that next day after one of them is what I call the bruised head day. Sometimes an extra strong coffee will help or just a long shower letting the water hit the back of the neck area. Hope the feeling is gone soon!

Anonymous said...

Those blocks are radiant! Love them. Seems I say that continually when I leave a comment but there is no other words to use.

Your gardens are at least a month ahead of us this year. I know it is because of our cool spring that kept our plants from waking up with the calendar.

J~MT

Quiltdivajulie said...

Add me to the list of those who cope with weather-dependent headaches.

Your recent examples with KF fabrics are inspiring me... stay tuned!!

Take care ~

Purple Pam said...

Sorry to hear about your headache. My husband has sinus headaches like that. Nothing he can do but wait it out. Sometimes warm compresses will help him.

Your new Kaffe blocks are super. I know I say this all the time, but your color sense is terrific. I looked at those fabrics at the quilt store, and thought, what could I do with them? Then I check out your blog, and you have done something fabulous with them. I would love to play in your fabric stash!

Kristin L said...

The outer fabric on teh right hand block is one of my all-time favorites!! I love what you've done with it.

Sara said...

I'm pretty sure your daylilies are named "Happy Returns". I have quite a few of them because I like the lemony yellow color better than the gold of "Stella D'Oro", from which it was derived by some horitcultural sleight of hand. They DO bloom all summer, so you should have them for quite a while!

Rebel said...

Oh - your blocks are making me think of my valorie wells WIP... same block in block style. I'll bet you finish yours first though ;)

meggie said...

Thosse 2 blocks are just gorgeous! I really love that purple with the orange border.
I have a Janome machine which does have it's own needles, but I find it doesnt mind Schmetz either.
I would really like to spend some time with you, trying to work out why I cannot embroider with metallic thread- I even bought the special needle, but it just wont work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda - that is going to be another lovely quilt. I am always amazed by how a simple pattern, with just the right zingy fabrics can look fantastic... can't wait to see some more blocks together.
(Sorry about your headache - maybe you should use quieter fabrics sometimes? :-))
Cheers
Helen