Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Doing more cutting

Yesterday I decided to cut my favorite Martha Negley prints, also from the same company as Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs. This picture is a little grainy, taken on macro setting. It is a twig stripe that comes in 6 colorways. I cut 5 of the 6 colors and cut squares as well as strips and played with them a bit. Click on the picture for a closer view of the fabrics.
I had intended to border some squares with these twig strips but then I thought maybe I want them for sashing instead.
I put the red twig stripe up there in the beginning when I was experimenting and I was too lazy to take it back out. I didn't get around to trying it on point yet. Still cutting more fabrics..........

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The twig sashing is perfect for this! It really integrates the lighter fabrics in the Fassett blocks, and stripes always add a great geometric element to the Fassett prints. Love where this is going...

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oooh, I like that twig fabric. I've never seen it before and will be looking. It does make a great sashing. Again, your creativity is contagious!

Joyce said...

It's looking great as usual.

Rebel said...

Oooh - that looks great with the sashing... I wouldn't have thought to do that but it really works well.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great resolution for your concerns re light and dark contrast!

Still hope you try the on point option - especially now that you've added the twigs! (my co-worker laughed when she saw me staring at the screen with my head tipped sideways)

Anonymous said...

I too have never seen the twig fabric, is that a new print? Or from your wonderful stash? It is amazing what it does to those blocks.

J~MT

imquilternity said...

I LOVE the twig stripe! Natural and Red are my favorites so I'm not surprised you used them! What a great idea to use them as sashing...I wouldn't have thought of that and it's WONDERFUL!

meggie said...

I prefer the natural to the red- predictably, since I am not really a red fan. However I think the natural allows the wonderul colours to shine alone.

Libby said...

The twig fabric reminds me of the "building materials" fabrics we are using in a quilt for my uncle who is an engineer. It's a really interesting print and I love both the squares and the sashing.

jovaliquilts said...

I love the twig stripes! So interesting, and works so well with those fabrics. The on-point setting you showed today is great.

Anonymous said...

Love the twig-gy quilt. The design is perfect for the fabrics you chose.