Monday, July 7, 2008

The next quilt?

Julie mentioned on her blog that she had some fabrics pulled for a scrappy basket quilt and that reminded me again that I have always wanted to make a basket quilt. I have seen several in the past few weeks on other blogs and I finally started looking for "the" basket pattern I want to do.

I went to this 1980 book of patterns to search.
I knew I didn't want a basket with an appliqued handle. I just wanted simple triangles and squares or rectangles.


After looking at all of the basket patterns in the book, I glanced up at my design wall at the block I made a few years ago, and it isn't even in the book. I wonder what its name is? It is more of a flower pot look than a basket. Maybe I want a flower pot quilt instead, LOL.
I have all of these little drawers of triangles and squares left from a color study project a few years ago. That would make it really scrappy if I used them.
I think I want to pull yardage off the shelves and cut specifically for this project. I just need to figure out what size the largest piece is and cut a strip that size off all of the fabric that I want to use. Then I can fold and replace all of the yardage that I am not needing on the shelves . Does that sound like a lot of work? Yes, but it lets me pet my fabrics, and sometimes find one that is hiding between others that I have forgotten about. I love refolding and restacking my fabrics.

Thank you for all of the good wishes for my mother. I hope she will listen to the Dr. this time and start drinking more liquids, and hopefully partially solve her kidney problems.

9 comments:

Cathi said...

Your little basket block is fabulous -- and in all those yummy squares and triangles? Gorgeous! Can't wait to see this as you get it started.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful block! I believe the pattern is called "cake stand".

Anonymous said...

I love basket blocks - and I too think that one is called "cake stand". I made a quilt, using batiks some years ago and mixed up different types of basket block - its here if you want to have a look: http://www.ishoo.co.uk/roberta.htm.
Can't wait to see yours - your colour choices are so jolly.
Cheers, Helen

Anonymous said...

Sorry - this is the first time I have posted a comment and I didn't click on the right button so it came up "anonymous" which seems so rude - my apologies - hopefully this is better.
Cheers, Helen

Pattie said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with this time, Wanda! I love “watching" your creative process.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I love basket quilts and have made several and have more in my head to do. I think it is an addiction. It will be fun to watch yours develop.

n, np

Anonymous said...

Nice selection of patterns. Can we vote on which one we want you to make? (*._,*)

J ~ MT

Purple Pam said...

Saturday I went to a mystery class. The mystery was a posie quilt. It is a nine block, not too big. Wanna do mine? I will post a picture maybe tomorrow after I get the last border attached.

meggie said...

So many patterns to make, so many choices!
Lovely colours in your sample block.