Sunday, July 20, 2008

Staring at the wall

When I got my first sewing machine in a cabinet in 1959 I promptly placed it against a wall so while I was sewing I was also staring at the wall. For many years after because of space restrictions it continued to face a wall. In the 1980's I finally had a space of my own and my sewing machine cabinet is placed so I have my back to the wall and I am looking out into the room. I have never gone back to facing a wall. It feels like I am joining the activity in the house this way instead of turning my back to it. I think there is a Feng Shui thing about not having your back to the doorway of a room. I never liked anybody sneaking up on me and scaring me either. If you want to see my set up click on STUDIO on the LABELS list on the right side of my blog.

And now you can see why I am not cutting anything currently. This is the mess on top of the cutting table. There are all the left over pieces from several of the last projects, a plastic bin on its side with pieces and parts of experiments, a pile of crazy pieced blocks, and a multitude of other things.
We had some nice rain yesterday, and maybe during the night. This is what I saw when I looked outside this morning. There are rain drops hanging from all of the leaves and blossoms. Click for a closer view.
More blossoms, more raindrops.
Today I must finish cleaning for my art quilters group tomorrow and bake 2 batches of cookies. It is still really humid out even though it isn't real hot yet. I had a good visit with some of my cousins at the funeral and lunch yesterday. It is good to connect with the family. Thanks for all of your condolences.

11 comments:

Vicki W said...

I used to face the wall too. In this house I have 3 windows in my sewing room. I set it up so that both of my sewing stations look outside. It made a big difference!

jovaliquilts said...

I know people who say they are more creative in a mess, but not me. Things get messy as I work, and that's fine, but if I don't clean off the cutting table between projects, nothing gets done.

Cathi said...

That riot of colour on your cutting table looks fantastic! So bright and cheerful! Perfect for an overcast, rainy day. It's raining here too and it seems to have broken the heat a little bit -- for a few days, they say.

Sequana said...

I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday to also send my condolences. Those kind of losses are so shocking. I'm sorry.

About your garden - I would think this has been almost a perfect season for it. Lots of nicely spaced rains, not TOO many really hot temps. I know for sure the locust tree right outside my south windows is sprouting up like wild.

meggie said...

I love your mess, it is very similar to mine!
I now face the window, but cant see much except the sky. Great light though.
I took my spare machine outside on Saturday, & spent the day sewing with the sun at my back. It was lovely.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I refuse to face the wall either! I either face the windows so I can look outside, or the television so I can semi-watch. Which one depends on the season since one way my sewing table covers the vent. :) I'm envious of your rain - we're really dry here and our pump went out this week. We usually water off the lake but now it's off the house - expensive! Blessings, marlene

TB said...

Wanda, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your cousin. My thoughts are with you and the family.

Your flowers, as always, are just splendid. I've been so busy I've hardly had time to browse my favorite blogs! I love seeing pictures of your quilts and your gardens.

Peace,
Twila

Pattie said...

I just moved my machine so I'm looking out a window instead of facing a wall. It makes my sewing time so much more enjoyable.

Love the photos of the lilies, Wanda. Thank you for sharing your garden with us

The Calico Cat said...

Just a quick question about perspective...

Are those lily's considered flowers or weeds where you live?

Growing up they were flowers - here in MD - they grow like weeds! Very few are cultivated.

Dixie Redmond said...

Wanda - I can see that your quilts are often inspired by gardens. You have a beautiful garden!

Paula, the quilter said...

My cabinet and machine are set up facing the room. Except when I am in actual quilting mode and trying to wrestle a large quilt through the machine. THEN I will intentionally turn everything and shove it against the wall. This way, the quilt will stay on the top of my Horn cabinet and not drop over the edge and create drag on the neddle.