Friday, July 18, 2008

Garden walk

I never made it to the sewing machine yesterday. I had errands all morning for my parents and an embroidery club meeting in the afternoon. In the evening I called my best friend from high school to catch up and talk about our upcoming 50th class reunion. That pretty much took up the whole day. I did go around the house and take pictures of the current blooms though.

This is the Rose of Sharon bushes up next to my house by my bedroom window.
Here is a close up of the flowers.
This year the purple cone flowers are really pretty. Usually they turn to a faded pink shortly after blooming. Maybe we have had just the right amount of rain for them this year.
I had purple and pink balloon flowers at one time in the front garden. Last year I think I saw a couple pink blossoms but most were purple. This little plant is a volunteer. I didn't realize they would re-seed. I know they don't usually survive if you move them so you should plant them where you want them.
This plant is happy amongst the crabgrass along my little path through the garden.

4 comments:

Karen said...

It's so interesting how in different parts of the country things bloom at different times. I have a Rose of Sharon plant and it usually doesn't bloom till late September, when I've given up. I'm hoping all the warm weather we've been having will speed it along. My coneflowers are mostly still buds, a couple have bloomed. But I think are Black eyed Susan are in line, mine are opening up now.

Rebel said...

Oh... we had a Rose of Sharon bush where I grew up. It was really beautiful, but I didn't know what it was called. Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Love the Rose of Sharon, blossoms are so much like a holly hock. Which I dearly love. Cone flowers (are they Echinacea ?) Mine too are just buds. And your balloon flowers are so delicate. I'd love to have just half of your flowers in my garden that you have shown us this spring and summer.

Our late spring has all my blossoms coming way after yours.

J~MT

dee said...

the rose of sharon reminds me of the hollyhock too. It also reminds me a bit of my hibiscus. Balloon flowers are gorgeous. The purple ones are my favorite.