Friday, July 25, 2008

Fixes and a box of goodies

I pieced some irregular width strips together yesterday and pinned them next to the quilt with about 1" of the purple border exposed. Then I folded that strip in half again for a narrower border and added a section of a crazy pieced block. I think both of these work but the narrower one wouldn't take away any glory from the center where the wider border might pull your eye to the outer edge. I will piece some more and play with it.
This is the box I took off the shelf to look for a crazy pieced block in the right colors. It is a "pieces and parts" box.
This is the view from the top.
Here is one of the blocks that was in there. I made this block about 15 years ago. I like it but have never decided what to use it for. I love pulling it out and looking at it so I guess it is just some eye candy for me.
I will be spending the next few days deep cleaning the guest room to prepare for a visit from my brother and sister in law. I will post 5 things from this magic box each day for the next 3 or 4 days while I play with the vacuum cleaner and feather duster.

16 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

That works beautifully!

Joyce said...

Both are great. I have been looking in my parts drawer with bags in mind. The eye candy one would make a nice bag front.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I just put stash into that little box on the top left to see your stash.
It's lovely and so well organised. Want to come to England and sort out my stash?

jovaliquilts said...

The piano keys and tiny inner border work great, I think! I was going to suggest you just pin that block on your design wall to admire it for awhile, but I saw Joyce's comment and agree with her -- put a block you love to use where you'll get to see it!

Anonymous said...

The narrow purple does work.
The pieced border is a great idea
and repeats what you have already started.
Since you added a border to the ends already you may want to vary the pieced border and make it different at the ends and sides.KS

Cathi said...

I love the effect you're getting in the second picture. That quilt reminds me of blueberries! Very rich and delicious!

The block is great -- why not pin it on the wall above your sewing machine for a while and let it "talk" to you?

KateKwiltz said...

Great fix! It's going to look great! And thanks for your suggestion yesterday...I'm going to play a little this weekend and see if I can't revive my blocks!

Nancy said...

Perfect! And I love the other block too.

Elsie Montgomery said...

You did it again! Wonderful finish.

As for the block, it seems to be one of those things that any additions or changes would spoil it, but knowing you, there will be a delightful solution.

Every day I'm encouraged and blessed by your inspiration.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, now that purple border works, very clever idea adding the stips
I prefer also the narrower

Marilyn said...

Perfect, Wanda! And your other block makes me think of sunsets and twilight.

meggie said...

Be still my beating heart! When I look at some of your bits & pieces I feel such a green colour! Haha.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Wanda,
I love the addition of the purple- it is just the thing to highlight the quilt without taking over the whole design. It is another beauty-
have fun with your company!
Regards,
Anna

Lynda said...

Glad to see that your 'pieces and parts' box is like mine - overflowing! I'll look forward to seeing some of the godies in there! By the way, the blue blocks look fabulous.

Linda said...

Love the narrow purple and the continuation of the strips....You have such a wonderful eye for color and design.

Purple Pam said...

I like the smaller piano key type border as well. With the addition of the smaller blocks, it pulls everything together. You are so clever.

I am drooling with envy over your bits and pieces bin. Mine does not look that nice. I would love to come and play in your sewing room with you. Enjoy your company.