Saturday, July 19, 2008

More garden

I am cleaning the basement for my art quilters group for Monday so I did sew 2 more blocks but will not play any more with the design until after Monday. My cousin rolled his big diesel pickup earlier this week and passed away from injuries. Yesterday was visitation, today is the funeral. I did get outside to take some pictures yesterday though.

I think this one has a Siamese twin/quintuplet thing going on with its flower stem. I thought this one should have multiple flower stems that would shoot up in several places, but these seem to have bonded.
Maybe this one always blooms like this and I never noticed it before. Close up below.
This is one of the ditch lilies in the back corner. There aren't many plants with buds on them yet.
And here is the regal beauty that blooms in the front garden. There are a ton of buds so I'll show a mass view in a couple days.
One of my friends commented on the variety of flowers and plants I have. I have mentioned before that I didn't even get into perennial gardening until 14 years ago. Once I was introduced to a few plants I started shopping for my new flower bed. I bought one of each of about 20 different plants each year. I figured out which ones grew at my house and which ones I wanted to dig out and get rid of. I learned most of the plant names by looking at the variety at the greenhouses every year. I won't pretend to know everything about plants but I sure know more than I did 14 years ago.

5 comments:

Cathi said...

That lily in the front garden is amazing! Gorgeous. It is SO rich!
How sad about your cousin.

Anonymous said...

Your post made me smile today as my HOSTA'S are blooming NOW also. That is a very unusual stem for sure.

Also my lilies are blooming. But my sister's right next door have bloomed and are gone already. go figure...?

So sorry to hear about your cousin.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about your cousin. My cousin was just here for a visit and I know how much I would miss here.
Your flowers are just beautiful and I enjoy seeing them as much as the quilts.
Roberta

Nancy said...

Sorry to hear of your cousin's accident. A reminder to us all to cherish today. Your flowers are beautiful. I miss the "ditch lilies" I had at my previous house, I need to find some for this house. The old ones were given to me by a friend, her family called them potty lilies, as her grandmother used to plant them by the outhouse!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. It's so dangerous out on the highways any more. Your flowers are beautiful. I'm envious of your green thumb. Blessings, marlene