Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pieces and Parts box, day 2

I used to teach a braided border class, back in the early 1990's. Then in Georgia Bonesteel's "Bright Ideas for Lap Quilting" she had a quilt and the instructions that showed how to piece the rows together without cutting off the ends. I showed an all beige one awhile back that I made with this method. I squared up these samples a couple months ago but still haven't made them into anything. These are the triangles that didn't work in my Aug. 9th,2007 post titled Progress. You can go to Archives on the right side of my blog and click on the arrow, and then click on Aug 2007 and follow down until you come to the 9th.
More sample basket blocks, 2 sizes, and pieces to continue on.
The first block for my winter Lady of the Lake. I pieced this about 6 years ago so you can see how excited I am about continuing. I have a summer Lady of the Lake and an autumn one already made. I'm too lazy to go back to make links, so you can try the search box at the top, type in Lady of the Lake and click on Search Blog and it will take you to my Oct. 12 post for pictures of both of them.
For one of my Nancy Crow workshops we were to bring our favorite block pieced in black and white. The block on the left is Lady of the Lake and that is the one I ended up taking with me.
See you tomorrow with 5 more parts.

8 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

What wonderful things are in your parts department!! I love the chevrons, very cool. Can't quite see how you keep them going together from row to row (I've only done a single chevron or braided chain), but I love the look.

Vicki W said...

Your house is just full of treasure chests! My parts bins aren't this interesting!

Cathi said...

Oh, my -- your parts bins must be fascinating to go through! I love the braided border blocks and the basket blocks. The black and white are fabulous. That would be a very striking quilt. Although I have to admit the black and white stars I started have stalled -- maybe I'll be more inclined to work on them in the grey days of late fall/early winter. They'll suit the mood. ;-)

Elsie Montgomery said...

Great post again, Wanda, except that line where you say, "I'm too lazy..." Do you really expect us to swallow that! (smile)

I'd also like to know how you do that solid chevron piecing.

meggie said...

Lovely colours.
I love yellow, & am looking at that triangle with longing!

Diane said...

Don't know the dimensions of those braided pieces, but they'd make lovely journal covers (hint, hint).

Lynda said...

I know why you keep them - you're a thrifty quilter (like me) and are ever hopeful that one day these pieces will 'come in' for something wonderful. Don't ask me what, but I'm sure you're right!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Wanda,
I loved the chevron piecing- is it complicated to do?
Did you do a tutorial of making braid quilts? You make such lovely quilts and the fabrics are so rich-its no surprise that you have beautiful scraps.
Regards,
Anna