Friday, September 14, 2007

Scrap Stash

This is where they all start. It is under my cutting table and easy to just throw the scraps onto the top shelf. If it is a bigger piece, but less than 1/4 yard, it goes on the bottom shelf. When that gets full, it is time to sort. Bigger pieces go in one bag, the smaller ones sorted by color and individually bagged go into the other.
Long strips, usually the generous clean up cut, go into this orange mesh cube. When it is too messy, I start sorting in there by warm (red, yellow, orange) and cool (blue, green, purple) and all black and whites are put in a plastic bag.
All of the smaller scraps eventually get sorted into color bins. These are what I work out of when I am making
this kind of block. I have 69 blocks so far but they are going to finish at 6 inches so I think I need a lot more. I may try some ideas, take pictures, and then take them down off the design wall.

7 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oooh, thank you. I've no way come close to this amount of scrap fabric, but you have validated the sorting method that makes sense to me! And I love those 69 blocks which I'm sure we will soon see organized and making music together...
(and sure, let's see the rest of it!)

Cindy said...

Wow, what a colour feast! Makes sense to have things in one container until it is full & then sort. Thanks for the post.

Rose Marie said...

We all have a system, but I like yours!

Joyce said...

I'm sure there are a lot of quilters, myself included, who would like to dive head-first into your scraps! I like your sorting method. I have to do a big sort soon even though I don't have a huge stash.

meggie said...

My sorting could be called haphazard- being generous with the term!
What a greaty system. If only I had the space.

Melody Johnson said...

I am salivating at your stash. The colors are calling to me, and I know it won't be long until I start sewing again. There is an ache to create afoot.

Bobbie said...

I have a pretty large stash...does anyone else have a problem cutting into theirs? My most favorite pieces, I guess are going to the real estate auction...:( just because I don't want to mess them up!