Tuesday, September 4, 2007

One new, one old

I finished the quilting on this Strips and Curves quilt over the weekend. I have just a little bit of the binding left to sew down and to attach the bottom edge of the hanging sleeve. I agonize over the quilting every time: what design will I quilt on this one? In the end I usually ditch quilt every seam line and then go back and do free motion in the areas that need it. In this case the light lavender is an indistinct leaf print so I just quilted in leaves following the design as much as I could. In the lilac fabric I loosely outlined areas of leaves and flowers

Here is another quilt made from Melody's hand dyed fabric from the early 1990's. I made this in 1993. I named it "Pregnant 9-Patch". I had made the crazy pieced blocks before I went to QSDS that year in Ohio and I took them along. I found the large white and black checked fabric there at one of the booths and it looked perfect with them. The border fabric is a double dyed piece. When I was finishing this quilt my daughter and 2 nieces were pregnant. As I worked with how to trim off the outside border, it came out with this point on the right. I decided it must be pregnant too and so it got its name.
Below is a close up of my wavy line border quilting that I have been doing since 1992. It is an easy way to quilt the borders, it looks good, and in many cases the border is a printed fabric and a fancy design wouldn't show up anyway. It is done with the presser foot and feed dogs, not with free motion.

4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your wavy line border quilting reminds me of what I call my "ripple quilting" (more or less parallel undulating lines) - I'm not at all confident with machine quilting on my Bernina and I SO admire the work of people who are!

mzjohansen said...

But DO you EVER sleep ?!
Great quilting !
Send energy !

meggie said...

I agree with zquilts.
I am sure if I lived alone I would achieve more, as I wouldn't bother to stop for mealtimes- or TV.
I really love that lilac one, how pretty it is.

Joyce said...

I love the Pregnant one. It's hard to beat hand dyes for color and texture. The B&W goes perfectly with all that color.