Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nostalgia

This booklet is from 1948 and still has the best basic directions for knitting and crocheting that I have seen. I never learned tatting. This page shows "Cross Strap Play Shoes" and "Humpty Dumpty". Can you imagine the stir you would make if you wore those shoes in public today? I imagine they mean bedroom slippers because in 1948 chances are your "play" was at home.
This one doesn't have a date on it but by the looks of the sewing machine I would say 40's or early 1950's.
I remember having some of these footwarmers.
I found these booklets while looking for something else, and no I haven't found what I am looking for.

4 comments:

meggie said...

I love seeing these old pattern books. I remember my mother had boxes of magazines from the 40s, & I wonder what ever happened to them. I used to go & look through them for hours on end.

jovaliquilts said...

I just pulled out an old instruction book from the late 1960's to show my daughter something on crochet. It had tatting instructions and she asked me what tatting is. Times have changed! But it's a great book that I have had since high school. So fun to see your photos!

Terry Grant said...

Oh my gosh. I made those slippers (foot warmers) when I was in High School--thought they were so clever made from two washcloths! As you can imagine, they were not comfortable and didn't fit on a foot very well.

Bobbie said...

y Grandmother used to make the footwarmers out of washcloths for us kids...we loved it!