Monday, September 17, 2007

Fall colors

Here is another quilt made from Margaret Miller's "Easy Pieces" technique. I always had to have one in progress to show my classes so I think I made about 7 of them. If I didn't need them for class samples or progress examples I'm sure I wouldn't have made more than 3. Teaching classes the way I did it produced a lot of quilts and wall hangings that I really don't need to own. I donated some to our local hospital and they framed them between 2 sheets of Plexiglas with a metal frame so they wouldn't be a "fire hazard". They were originally refused until one of the gentlemen working there figured out a way to hang them that would follow the rules.

I still own this wall hanging and it reminds me of fall, so I think I will hang it in the hallway to the bedrooms and bathroom. More about stash: I love to pull combinations that work well together (ignore the blue lid to a box) and have one blanket box full of this type of combinations. I go through the fabrics in there once in awhile to make sure I don't have a "winner" hiding in there that would work in several other projects I have in mind.
I haven't come up with the quilt for this group yet, but I have it laying where I see it every day, so maybe soon........

6 comments:

Patg said...

Dear Wanda,
Love your blog The photos are so inspiring. And even though I'm supposed to be keeping the basement neat right now you've got me quite tempted to at least go play touchy feely with my fabrics that aren't packed away. I like your idea of keeping the combinations together since I often buy two or more fabrics together with the idea of them being a combo.
ciao, Pat G

meggie said...

That is a lovely fall quilt!
And I love those fabrics waiting for a design. They do look wonderful together.

jovaliquilts said...

Brown is not a color I am drawn to, but your brown autumn quilt positively glows - it's so alive with sunlight! Love your current color combination, too -- have fun finding a project!

Anonymous said...

Love your fall brown quilt, so rich and warm, as the days of fall close around us ~ so does the beauty of that quilt. And your stash of fabrics you have shown us just waiting in the wings to take flight. Knowing you 'my energizer bunny friend' we will be seeing it in a few weeks.

TB said...

You have a knack for effectively combining fabrics! That's what I like about Kaffe Fassett as well (as you know we both have an affinity for his work).

Marisa said...

Your wall hanging is cool, I have something similar half started. It's on my to-do list to make it into a baby quilt. A very nice blog you have here...