Friday, September 28, 2007

A long time ago....

When I was a teenager I spent a lot of time hand embroidering. This is one of the very first quilts I made. I did the embroidery as a teenager and finished the quilt before my first child was born. I really didn't know anything about quilting, since I came from a non-sewing family. My grandma and my great-aunt did hand embroidery so I learned from them.
If I were doing this piece today I would have made her hair a darker color to show up better against the white background.
This is my tracing from the Workbasket magazine on squared paper. I used the method of hand drawn enlarging working from small squared paper to larger squared paper to get a large image. Then I traced the larger image with pencil to the white background fabric.
A close up of my embroidery and quilting.

2 comments:

meggie said...

That is very sweet. You must have been born to quilt, since your family didn't sew!
I have sometimes used stitchery patterns for patchwork, just enlarged them & used fabrics.

mzjohansen said...

I hope that this will always be a treasured heirloom !
It's wonderful !