Friday, September 21, 2007

More Purple and Yellow

This is one of my favorite quilts. I made it while teaching log cabin quilt classes for our local community college. I know it wasn't made before 1992 because it has some of the commemorative Christopher Columbus stripe fabric in the border. I think it was probably finished by 1993 however. It is twin size and is often on a twin bed in my sunshine yellow guest bedroom. I had already made at least a dozen log cabin quilts previously so I had tried most of the traditional layouts. One thing about log cabin though, if you have made one, you probably will want to make another, with the variety of layouts you can use. Here are 2 more pictures of the leftovers from the color study.
These are the leftover ends of strips from cutting the squares and the triangles so I could continue on and make more blocks. My only problem is that I would want to add more new fabrics, not continue with the old ones.

5 comments:

Denise Aumick said...

Darn...you just keep showing and showing all the evidence of your exuberant colors. This piece and the one in the post below are timeless. Modern day works of art, they will be the treasured heirloom antiques of tomorrow.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I've been too busy for nearly a week and nearly missed your great posts. Sad too by the death of your friends, yet cheered at the color exercises. Your energy is contagious. I'm plugging away at my 'insanity quilt' and hope to have it done soon. Other minutes are taken up by far more mundane things, however, fall colors are starting to happen and we have Indian summer -- my favorite time of year.

happy quilting!

meggie said...

More lovely colours. I have tried to send you a couple of emails, & they come back.

Colleen said...

I just love that purple and yellow log cabin quilt. There are lots of combinations of the log cabin pattern, but I don't think I've seen that one. I love it! I always enjoy visiting your blog. I'm forever in awe of what I see.

TB said...

I know that feeling of wanting to incorporate new fabrics; I get that too.