Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A lot of questions about Thangles

After trimming and pressing I see that I still some medium colors before I start designing up on the wall, so I sewed some more last night.
There were a lot of questions about Thangles yesterday. If you go back to this post I explained them fully. Now I will go on to explain more. In the beginning we just cut triangles and sewed 2 together and sometimes our blocks were kite shaped and the wrong size afterwards. Then came Triangles on a Roll which you could layer 2 fabrics and sew on the dotted lines and cut on the solid lines and have instant squares made of 2 triangles. This was especially great for projects that were all triangles.


That posed a problem when you needed squares cut from the same fabric as your triangles because you had to cut 2 different pieces of fabric to cut them out of. Thangles (picture on yesterday's post) have made it easy. If you need squares made of 2 triangles that measure 2.5" after sewing and plain squares that measure 2.5", you can now get it all out of one 2.5" strip instead of one 2-7/8" strip and one 2.5" strip.

Next comes the accuracy issue. Not all quilters are created equal. Some cut on tables that are too high/too low, some need glasses but are too proud to wear them, some have incurable vision problems, some have shaky hands, and some just don't take the time to try to be accurate. If accuracy is a problem with squares made of 2 triangles, you are better off to cut the original square over-sized, draw a line diagonally from corner to corner, do your best 1/4" seam on each side, cut on the line you drew, press the seam and then cut the squares to the size you need. This is the cutting twice method and will slow you down in the project but it will be accurate.
I have been quilting long enough that I know how to deal with small inaccuracies and when to throw a piece out because it is way off. The more you sew triangles the better you will be at it. You just need to pick the method that works for you. I have always been a speedy and accurate sew-er and yes, I am a math person. I LOVE math. I love figuring out how many pieces I can get out of a selected fabric, and figuring out yardage for a quilt, and all of the other things I need math for, so 7/8" seam allowances added to a strip was never a problem for me. Lots of people don't understand all of those little marks between the numbers on a ruler. There are a lot of things in life I don't understand too.

12 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I took two quilt classes to learn to quilt, and in the second class we made a pinwheel quilt using Thangles. I thought that was how everyone did it! Now if I need a lot from the same fabrics, I draw my own grid on the back of the lighter fabric and use that. And I do make them a tiny bit oversized and trim, but may try it without that one day when I'm feeling brave.

Pat said...

I bought thangles in a couple of sizes and never remember I have them...should get them out and put them where they are in plain view! LOL

Anonymous said...

You learn something new every day and I always seem to learn heaps when I visit your site!! LOL!

Unknown said...

Thangles are a great way to achieve better accuracy, but you are correct about the cutting and sewing. No one is the same. You really need to be in tune with your own skills and work within your skill set.

Cathi said...

This is the best explanation of Thangles I've seen.

Joyce said...

I'll have to try them when I get back to doing full sized quilts. Thanks for the info.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

This is the only way I could be accurate when making half square triangles. Works great and moves along so fast. Still have to really watch how you press making sure your seam is all the way open and that you do NOT iron you press.
:)

Anonymous said...

I love accuracy and Thangles is the answer. Enjoyed the refresher course on Thangles.

J~MT

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
I never knew the difference between using Thangles or using my Easy Angle. Now I know. I always have issues with triangles, so I think I should try the Thangles next.

I think it helps to hear the "why" someone prefers one method over another, rather than just being told to do it a certain way.
Thanks for your insight.
Vicky F

Gari in AL said...

I have never had trouble with half square triangles but do use Thangles occasionally. Last year, however, I did a BOM that was put out by Thangles: boy did I ever get tired of them. In fact I still haven't made the last one.

TB said...

Thank you!

quiltmom anna said...

Wanda,
Great little tutorial of making triangles- I have used the draw the line method and trim if I need to - Triangles can create some beautiful patterns but I do find them tedious at times-I like other techniques better. If I want to be more precise, then I really like to paper piece - I have never used the Thangles - perhaps I will have to check them out ...
Regards,
Anna