Friday, March 27, 2009

Final decision, all sewn together

I had 52 blocks when I started playing yesterday afternoon. I used 48 of the blocks and made a variation of the first layout I showed yesterday. I staggered the rows of the Sunshine and Shadow blocks by 1/2 row instead of the full row I showed yesterday. I think the name stays the same though, "Straight Furrows Interrupted". I don't think you will find this layout in any book. I just made it up as I went. Anonymous asked a couple days ago why I only used half of each strip. It is because I didn't want the same fabric in more than 6 blocks. I used 175 different fabrics and only used the full strip of a couple of the lightest ones. It ended up 43" x 57". I won't be putting a border on it and I think the binding will be multicolor using strips of a lot of my favorite fabrics that are in it. Here are 3 of the leftover blocks. They just didn't have the right flavor to fit in. You can see here that the light center makes the largest half of the block light so that is one of the reasons this quilt is so light and almost delicate looking. It really gave me the look of spring flowers that I was after.
Last night I took a bunch of the leftover strips and just pieced them randomly, in the order they were in the pile, not placing lights and darks in any particular spot. They are just blocks at this point, not sewn together. I might play with some sashing since they aren't traditional log cabins.
Here are the last blossoms of the season on my amaryllis. The flower stem was 29" tall and very sturdy. Now I must get back to sewing purple arcs in the other quilt on a design wall. I need these new quilts for a program I will be giving at our local quilt guild meeting in April. I haven't done a program in about 8 years. The program is based on all of the different looks you get with one quilt pattern done in different styles of fabrics. I have 30 quilts at this point to show in 10 different quilt patterns.

18 comments:

Mary P said...

I love it. I'm not a traditional girl myself, so I really love your twist on the traditional settings!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like your log cabin the way you have decided to set it is so unique. Love the colors too.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Susan Turney said...

Gorgeous!!! The colors make me so happy!

Cathi said...

Wow! is all I can say. I normally feel sort of neutral about log cabin quilts. Yours? Yours I absolutely love and I know it's because of the fabrics you've used and the setting -- it is absolutely fabulous!!!

Marilyn said...

Oh, Wanda, that Straight Furrows Interrupted is YOU. It is just marvelous. Kinda like doing a waltz with the different flowers that appear -- first the daffodil then the iris, then bluebonnet, etc. with snow flurries or cold snaps in between. Your third picture with your "leftovers" (any leftovers with Wanda are not your regular leftovers) reminds me of a maze that you place a mouse or rodent in.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I DO love the arrangement. Unique.
And I can relate to the comment on using more of some of the lights.
Most fabric collections have far fewer lights than mediums and darks. Even with your educated collection of fabrics it looks like you also follow the majority.
Great quilt Wanda.
K

Anonymous said...

The comments above say it all! I like Marilyn's description the best. This is truly one unique piece of art.

J~MT

Vicki W said...

I love it! Very nontraditional layout and very effective.

shellysquilts said...

Luv your layout! Looks fabulous!

Claire O'Connor said...

Wanda, This is really QUITE stunning -- definitely inspires me! Would LOVE to see photos -- if you're able to share them -- of your program. And also, my personal fave is to see random snapshots of design walls. It is such a delightful window into an artist's world. Thank you again for sharing the road to this new beauty!

Christina said...

Wonderful!!!

Elsie Montgomery said...

This is a super demo for the rest of us in how to make an old favorite simply sparkle... and even how to use leftovers that retain that shine!

I'd love to attend your presentation in April! Maybe someone will do a video and you can post it (or even sell it)?

Have a great weekend.

Elaine Adair said...

Beautiful AND looking like spring -- hmmm not like the spring we have here, but 'spring' somewhere! 8-)))

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Bravo Wanda...you did your own thing and the results are wonderful!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love how you decided to put the logs together. I will I could attend your program at the local quilt guild. I am sure it will be great.

Jean said...

I like this arrangement, it is great! 175 different batiks...I am SOOOOOO jealous of your stash! LOL

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Your quilt top turned out great. And it does look like spring blossoms (which haven't popped out here yet).

I know your "reject" blocks won't go to waste (maybe journal cover parts, or totes?)

Vicky F

Cher said...

I love the color play and the airiness of this top-beautiful way of putting your blocks together