Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cheerful color

Cheerful color, isn't that what we need in winter? Here are 3 sizes of yo-yos laying on the table together. Here they are again with the yo-yo makers. That little green one is the one I started out with. Don't look for a project made out of these any time soon. I will have to make bags full before I have enough for anything. I have packed a ziplock bag with fabric for all 3 sizes, scissors, needle and thread to grab and take along when I know I will stuck somewhere for a while. The small ones are about 1.2", the large is 1.8" and the X-large is 2.375". Why didn't they make a medium? There is another size an X-small that is about .75". I didn't figure I needed that one.
Here is another postcard I made last year from the scraps of one of the Kaffe Fassett fabric quilts. I used a veriegated rayon embroidery thread for the stitiching. It is all raw edge cutaways laid in place and then stitched over, no fusing. It is 4" x 6".
I have the pattern for the postcard backs for my embroidery machine so I did a bunch and use them as I make a matching color card. The piece below is square, it is the camera lens that distorts it.
I wasn't really paying attention when the weatherman said we might get a dusting of snow overnight. This morning I thought I heard a snow plow and when I looked out we have a clean fresh blanket of white on the ground. It is supposed to be 9 degrees so I'm not ready to go out and shovel yet.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, your Yoyo's are bright and happy. Of course coming from those brillant leftovers from your quilts they make a large statement for a small finished piece.

Love your Postcard it is amazing~ I admire you for working with such small pieces. Seeing this little postcard makes me feel guilty. I have thrown away far too many scraps of that size.

J~MT

imquilternity said...

Thanks for the jolt of beautiful color. It's raining here and grey so it's exactly what I needed to see today!

Your postcard is terrific too! Isn't it nice to have a use for all those lovely Kaffe scraps.

Stay warm and cozy and get lots of quilting done!

Terri

jovaliquilts said...

Any thoughts about what you'll eventually do with those yo yo's? Do they get tacked onto a quilt, or stitched together? They do look fun, all lying there like that!

meggie said...

An Aunt of mine made a quilt using YoYos. She made them all without one of those plastic yoyo makers too!

I love your post card. The Snow will be a nice backdrop for sewing.

We have had some nice cooler weather, but the heat has returned, so the next few days will be like real Summer again, down here.

MJMR said...

Ah, I never thought of doing the back of the postcards with my embroidery software and sewing machine! I usually run postcard backs with my printer from a template I drew. Great Idea on your part.

TB said...

Brrr! The postcard almost looks as if it is hand stitched on the surface--I had to open it in the larger version just to be sure. Great idea for the postcard back! Very nice Wanda!

Purple Pam said...

Love those bright yoyos. They are a super contrast against the while background. Do they have a destination? The postcard is great also. Have you ever mailed one? We learned to do them in my quilt class, but I never got around to finishing mine.

Michael5000 said...

Would you hate me if I told you I put away my winter clothes tonight? Spring is here!! : )

Frieda Anderson said...

I've tagged you Wanda.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Love those yo-yos clustered all together like that. And really love that postcard - the stitching is marvelous.