Every time I showed this quilt in progress to anyone I would start apologizing about the fact that it was low contrast, hard to see the pattern, etc. I also told them that I was probably the only person that would ever like it. In reality it turned out just the way I wanted it. I always loved the old antique quilts that didn't seem to have any pattern and were made with leftover fabrics. The longer you looked at them, there usually was some order to them, just subtle. I started out on Dec. 26, 2006 with a part of a package of 2-1/2" Thangles. It was probably about 3/4 of a package. I cut 3" strips of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and sewed until the Thangles were gone. Then I cut squares from the same strips. I counted how many of each I had and then got out my square grid paper and started drawing.
I figured out where the triangle squares would go and all the rest was plain squares. I didn't take the time to fill in every triangle, just put in a few and then counted how many that area would take. This quilt is 61" x 81" approx.
A couple closeups of the elusive pinwheels and all of the Kaffe fabrics.
I was lucky enough to get in on some good sales of the older Kaffe fabrics on equilter earlier this year and got the border fabric and matching backing at a great price. And the best part, the quilt is finished!!!