Saturday, November 3, 2007

Published again

I was in another workshop with Margaret J. Miller in 1990. It was called Strips That Sizzle. I had seen one of this type quilt in one of her books and she was visiting my friend's quilt shop and my friend called me to invite me to meet her. I mentioned the quilt in her book and she told me she was giving a workshop on it 2 days later in a northwest suburb of Chicago. I called them immediately and got into the workshop. This quilt is the one I started in the workshop. I had all of the blocks done by the end of the day and in the following week I tried many layouts of the blocks. Margaret had mentioned to us that she was writing a book and if we came out with a great layout to sent her pictures. I sent this one and said I had another in the works. Below is the back of the quilt.

The one below is the second one I made. I sent her a picture of it and they were both accepted into the book. I sold the one below at a gallery and I really miss it. You can see I was into purple and yellow a long time ago. The book was published in 1992.
I taught classes from the book for many years and then it was out of print. I heard at one time that it was the most asked for quilt book that was out of print. The reason I heard that they didn't reprint it right away is because it had too many color pictures and was too expensive. Several years later they finally did reprint it. I went on to make lots of quilts with this wonderful technique.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I really,really like (love) both of these.Good land Wanda did you never take a break?Wig.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Hi Wig, No I didn't take a break much in the early 1990's. I was "on a roll" as they say.

Joyce said...

I can readily see why they were accepted for publication. I totally love the first one that looks like a star. It's hard to believe they are the same block.

Elaine Adair said...

Wanda - the purple quilt is THE reason I decided to make so many string quilts ... I have it bookmarked in the book, bages, worn, etc., from must LOOKING at it. How lovely that I almost 'know' the maker! These quilts are ALL spectacular. I even have my colors picked out, 2 jelly rolls, to make one of these Strips that Sizzle, but it's still on my 'to do' list.

Sooo, when you see it one of these months on my blog, you'll know that YOU are the inspiration, as well as Margaret Miller!

Anonymous said...

Wanda~ Just when I think THIS IS IT! ! ! You present us with yet more that are as magnificent as the last ones. The depth achieved from the chosen fabrics are just amazing.

J~MT

Melody Johnson said...

I too have always loved your quilt, the purple and gold...I got that book just to own a picture of your work. And it appears in the book twice. So that's how much the publishers liked it too.
Making it again someday?

meggie said...

Those are so impressive!
You really need to write your own book!

Barbara C said...

Gorgeous! I'm so inspired by these beautiful settings.

TB said...

I like the 3D effect and the colors. Very nice, I can see why they were accepted for the book.