Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Embroidery machines

I have always loved embroidery. I started out with hand embroidery in my early teens and continued for many years with the trends of the day: pillowcases in the 50's and 60's, crewel emb. pictures in the 70's, and combinations of many types over the years. The first time I saw a machine doing embroidery I was blown away. Wow! I waited until the Pfaff company produced their first embroidery machine in 1994 before I bought one. You are always encouraged to do a sew out on a sample fabric to check your colors and the density, etc. I had made several blue jean quilts prior to 1994 and liked them so I decided to do all of my practice stitchouts on old blue jeans. The family provided me with plenty of castoffs. Most of these designs were from the "cards" that are inserted into the machine.

Then we were introduced to the software that accompanied the machine where we could take a fancy stitch from machine, enlarge it, and make it into an embroidery design.
Many more embroidery machines have been made since 1994 and since I worked at the sewing machine store I was always around them I have gotten newer updated models over the years. The hoops have gotten bigger, the computer portion of the machine has gotten more sophisticated. I am continually torn between making quilts and playing with the embroidery machines, so combining the 2 in one quilt only makes sense.

7 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

An organization in our city works with the police department to take care of abused children. The caseload is large (and heartbreaking). I talked with the director on the weekend about their need for quilts. She said "denim quilts for teenage girls" --- and today you post these lovelies. I will show them to my quilt group and hopefully we can get to work and do something! I hope you don't mind if we snatch your ideas?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

lc, feel free to use this idea. However the blue jean quilts get really heavy so alternating blocks with flannel or regular fabric will make them more manageable.
Wanda

meggie said...

Turning old blue jeans into something so nice is a fabulous idea. I had thought they would be heavy, & probably dont need batting?

Silverthimble said...

I love your blue jean quilt! I too make quilts from old blue jeans. The teenagers love them! I have family members save their jeans for me and right now I have several rubbermaid totes full. I love the addition of the embroidery. Since the denim is quite heavy, do you need stabilizer behind the denim like you do on lighter weight cotton, or is the denim heavy enough on its own?

Anonymous said...

Denim is a classic, and will never go out of style. Your embroidery embellishments adds pazazz to this wonderful quilt of denim. I honestly do not know of anyone more talented than you are Wanda. J~MT

TB said...

It's interesting to actually see an example of a jeans quilt, as I've been collecting my and my son's old jeans with the thought that I'd like to construct a quilt or some pieced garment. The embriodered designs on the denim is a wonderful embellishment. Thanks for the inspiration; I was recently thinking that I should get rid of all the jeans I've saved, but I'm rethinking that.

Anonymous said...

Love the addition of embriodery .Love the
idea for my granddaughters.jmh