Monday, October 7, 2019

Munching on seeds.............

I'm sure you will have to click on this photo to enlarge it to see the goldfinch ready to eat some coneflower seeds.  The garden is dying down and I need to cut down the peonies this week.



I was taking these photos from the kitchen window so I couldn't tell which direction the little bird was facing with my telephoto lens.  I have seen several female goldfinches but it is rare to see the yellow males.  It was an overcast afternoon so the colors are pretty dull.
The only activity in my studio was with the vacuum cleaner so I'll show you instead the nature's bounty picked during a break from cleaning.  I'm hoping the rest of the tomatoes start turning color before the cold air hits this coming weekend.




5 comments:

jirons42 said...

If all your tomatoes aren't red by the frost or last time to pick, just put the green ones in a brown paper bag and close it up. They will turn red just fine in the bag.

Lesley Gilbert said...

Early summer we bought 3 tomato plants, same name. I planted 2 of them in old wellington boots and my daughter in a large tub. I got loads of tomato's, but cherry size because of the boots. My daughter's have all grown big, some as big as apples, but they won't turn red and we have to bring them in to do that. This week I'll cut off the rest before they start to go 'off'. The one next to your vase looks about apple size as well :)

patty a. said...

I cut off all the Shasta Daisies in two of the flower beds this weekend. There wasn't much left in the way of seeds. There is still lots of new little baby plants growing. The front bed looks a whole lot better since I cut them down. I will need to transplant some to fill in one area. Yes, the plants are winding down. I have one zucchini that has been the same size for several weeks. I will just let it go until it either gets bigger or when the first frost shows up. It might be small, but it is still eatable.

JJM said...

Enjoyed your post of your birds and tomatoes.

We are ahead of IL. last week we had over night lows of 25 and 26 degrees. Those temps got ALL of our annuals. Living in the mountains brings autumn and snow flurries early. I'm still hoping for an Indian summer if only for a week. (^._.^)

JJM

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That's a great view out in the garden, especially when birds stop by to visit!