Friday, October 4, 2019

A medallion quilt...........

I was looking through Kaffe Fassett's latest book and decided this is my favorite quilt.  The book has all medallion quilts which I happen to love.  What I don't love is that it is square.  My feet would be sticking out the bottom and I would have it wrapped around me 3 times.  I need a rectangular quilt.  This one will be easy to adapt by putting a rectangular center picture in there.  I might have to do a little math to see if those on point squares in the borders will give me any trouble.  I'm not opposed to putting a spacer in at the center or in 2 places in a border to make it all fit.  I might use the same fabric choices but will definitely change some colors to make it more me.

9 comments:

PaisleyBird said...

Looking forward to seeing what fabrics you chose! I don't have Kaffe's latest book yet but will get it when I meet him & Brandon in NC later this month.

donaleen said...

I love square quilts for my bed. about 84 inches square seems perfect (for my queen size) bed.

JJM said...

Those fabrics are awesome, I too really like this quilt, and I know yours will even be better.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have that book and have flagged that quilt to be a future table topper (which needs to be square for our round table). Like you, I like rectangular quilts better but at least I've found a good functional use for square ones now.

em's scrapbag said...

Wonderful! I do love a good medallion quilt!

Maria said...

Fabulous Quilt but like you I don't like square quilts sew thanks for the tip of starting with a rectangle in the centre.....
I have also gone over to Lynn's and am now following her ,, Sew many great blocks....

Needled Mom said...

I'm not a fan of square quilts either, but I know you will make an incredible rectangular one.

Nann said...

I looked it up -- 78 x 78. The width is okay for a double bed but a little narrow for a queen-sized bed (mattress 60 x 80). [Only quilters happen to know the basic mattress sizes.] So you could add border to the sides and a couple of borders to the top and bottom.

cityquilter grace said...

isn't that a fantastic book??? i would think adjusting this would be easy enough....i have a couple eyed as well...oh that kaffe!!