Thursday, October 31, 2019

A snow day........and some quilting.......

I was supposed to go to Chicago for an eye check up early yesterday morning but this is what we woke up to so I rescheduled my appointment.  It's just under 2 hours driving in there and it was too slick to consider going.  It continued snowing for a couple hours.







This is the ice pellet/snow mess on my driveway and also on the streets.  The footprints are the mailman's.






We still have leaves on the trees but about half of the leaves fell during the day.








This is the Redbud tree straight out from my kitchen window.  The snow made neat patterns following the branches with the leaves as a second layer.  You need to click on this one to enlarge it.


I decided I should quilt this little baby quilt on my snow day.






I just did meandering for the quilting design.








I used a dotted green fabric for the binding.













I used the same diagonal plaid as the border on the back.  It is approximately 36" square.

Rain started late last night and was changing to snow as the temperature dropped.  I wonder if any kids will go out trick or treating in this mess.

14 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I hope that stuff doesn't come this way. We are supposed to get very high winds tonight. The baby quilt looks very refreshing- like those melt in your mouth mints.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can see why you stayed home - who would want to drive to Chicago in that - My daughter sent a photo of snow from Wisconsin on Tuesday morning of what she got on Monday night.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I was in Houston and came home to rain.... lots of rain. Nearly 3 inches in 2 days. The pond is full again... but they are talking a very cold temperature decline today and a possible follow up with a few flakes. Glad you played it safe and stayed in!!!

patty a. said...

Good decision to stay home and quilt. The quilt turned out so cute! We might get some snow between 10 pm and 2 am, but otherwise the weekend is looking pretty nice.

Julierose said...

I no longer drive in the snow either; I leave that to my hubster who comes from "snow country" in the Berkshires...
Nice quilting...hugs--stay warm Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

We did indeed get the cold last night and this morning the leaves are "raining" down off the trees when the wind gusts blow. More will come down this weekend as additional overnight freezing temps are in the forecast. It will be COLD for trick or treat this year and damp from all the rain this week but it should be okay for the kids to get out. We'll be at Little Man's house so his parents can take him out while we hand out candy to the masses of children.

JJM said...

We've had winter snows off and on in October and a wicked blizzard this past Monday also. It's even unusual for us that live in the mountains for snows to come that early, in the valley.. But WOW Illinois too, is a big surprise ! ! !

Sweet baby quilt and another finish....

JJM

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

We had rain and lots of wind overnight. Woke up to cold, for us! It is a beautiful day here, but I plan to stay in and sew, too.
Love that baby quilt. It all looks so happy!

pbj fiber marietta said...

You are right, the leaf picture is really interesting. Sometimes you don't notice things until you take a photo!

Lesley Gilbert said...

I'm surprised to see you have snow already - isn't that a bit early for you? I hate driving in snow and had a small accident a few years ago and only travelling about 15 mph, thankfully. I had my eye test yesterday and picked up new glasses today. Your snowy leaf photo is very pretty, as well as your baby quilt. Good that you got it finished by end of the month :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It was a good idea to reschedule your eye exam - snow can be really pretty if you don't have to be out IN it. The photo of the snow on the leaves is interesting especially with the leaves still so green. Love your baby quilt - ;))

Vicki W said...

A snow day is a perfect quilting dsy!

Kerry said...

Wow! Snow already?! I wonder what the winter weather will be for us over the pond because it's been a very wet and windy year.
Still, quilty colours make me happy and your post was very timely. Even the pretty tree with the snow. Oh I hope we don't get snow any time soon! xx

BatikFanatic said...

The green-and-pink baby quilt is bright and cheerful — what a good way to spend a snow day!