Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Playing........

As I was cleaning up the trays of rectangles and re-sorting them I came across a lot of rectangles that I cut 15 years ago that really don't work for colorwash.  There weren't as many batiks available in the early 2000s as there are now so I was cutting from a lot of the 1990s batiks.



I decided to  make blocks using 8 rectangles and put them up on my design wall edge to edge.  I happen to like busy quilts so even with this odd assortment of fabrics I really liked it.  I know there are some people looking at this and say "Ow, that hurts my eyes".






I decided I should try some other layouts.  This one just has the blocks separated with the design wall flannel making the sashing.  It is trying to tell me each block is pretty and needs to be showcased.......but......they aren't pretty blocks.  This layout is OK but not my style.






I decided to try columns and I could live with this layout.  I would need to make 8 more blocks to make it a little more rectangular, longer and narrow like a body shape that it would cover.

This project is just a busy work project because I didn't have my next project lined up ready to sew and I had an hour of TV to watch.  I actually made these blocks on the last 2 evenings.

For all of you who still have http://  as the beginning of your blog address, this isn't safe any more.  Blogger has already set it to https:// for everyone but you need to take one more step.  In Blogger go to your settings in the Basic page and change the HTTPS DIRECT to YES.  In Bloglovin my blog came up as Not Secure until I changed that setting to YES.  You don't want the bad guys getting into your account and messing with it.  I'm visiting a lot of blogs that still come up with the Not Secure at the beginning of the address and you need the setting enabled to forward your visitors to the secure https:// setting.

16 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I do have https so I know I'm secure but couldn't find the info you mentioned (https direct) when I went to settings. I looked all around but no luck.
I love the simple 8 rectangle setting you have for these blocks; a good way to use up 2.5" scrappy strips :)

Frog Quilter said...

Thanks for the security tip. It answered why I was seeing insecure on web pages.

Debbie said...

I love the first layout....I like this kind of busy:)
Thanks for the security tip.....I changed it just now.

patty a. said...

I think what would bring these blocks together is a solid sashing. The turquoise in the blocks jumps out at me and that might be something to audition.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for mentioning the https - I hadn't heard of that and will get busy checking it out and seeing if I can get mined changed

Marnie Haines said...

Really love the first layout. Busy at its best!

Chris said...

Hi Wanda
Thanks for the technology tip. :)
I love how you used your rectangle cuts. I actually had a huge box that I recently passed along to someone else for charity quilts...but your blocks got me thinking of other possibilities. Maybe slice the blocks diagonally, and add large half square triangles of batik to complete the blocks, then you can set them like log cabin blocks. I like the first setting too, scrap happy if you ask me.
Enjoy the warm weather today!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great use of old scraps... Any way you lay it out!!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I love the first layout, doesn't hurt my eyes and it sort of fits the idea of using batiks back then of being wild. I, too, have batiks purchased back then and they are different than the ones now. They are brighter and look more tie-dyed. Hmmm. now I have a bin full of these batiks.

JJM said...

This piece is fun and jazzy. With or without the sashing breaks too...

JJM

Julie S said...

Thanks for the security info! I changed my settings and I am sharing the news with other bloggers that I follow that are "Not secure" as well.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Another thank you for the security tip. It was easy to change.
I also like this scattered look, with or without the sashing. What about using them for the center of a log cabin, or boxed blocks... maybe grouping those with one similar color. Lots of ideas come to mind. Have fun!

Connie said...

The more fabric used, the prettier and more interesting the quilt. I love it!

Vivian Helena said...

thanks for the security tip, I had seen that notice, but wondered if that is happening on my site also. So techy family member going to check.
Love both layouts,love looking at your site. And got my needle and thread from Beth. Delightful lady! wish I lived nearer!

Mystic Quilter said...

So pleased you gave the information re https://, I changed mind as soon as we had the message on blogger but like yourself a lot of the bogs I usually visit are not secure,.
I love these blocks made from rectangles, brilliant idea.

Vicki W said...

I actually like the first version with all of the blocks together.