Sunday, May 5, 2019

Beautiful sunny day.........

After a very rainy week (about 5") we had a beautiful day yesterday.  Blooming Redbuds against a cloudless blue sky.

I got lots of sewing done but nothing new to show.  I now have 8 columns out of 10 sewn on the Cascade quilt and webbed together.  I am getting very close to a finish.
All of the "pickle" insert blocks are pressed and ready for the design wall.















The Brunnera flowers were just glowing bright blue in the shade.  To the left of it is the Lungwort/Pulmonaria with the last blooms.  In the background and all around these plants are Lily of the Valley.  It has totally invaded and taken over the flowerbeds.  My advice:  don't plant it unless you want it everywhere.  It spreads underground and my soil is very fertile and easy to turn over so the roots are just going wild.

I had some Hostas in pots last year and didn't get them planted before the cold hit.  I put the pots up next to the house and hoped for the best.  They are coming up in all of the pots and should have a really good root base now.

I did my first digging yesterday and divided and moved some Sedum plants.

5 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

Love all the colours in the first photo - nice choice for a new quilt but maybe not your colours? I've often left new cuttings in a pot and if they survive the winter, you'll know they will come up good and strong. Looking at your recent garden photo's everything seems to have survived your bad winter weather. The last few days here have been very cold but I've managed to do some winter clearing. Fingers crossed for a decent summer and not too hot :)

Libby in TN said...

Good to know about lily of the valley! I rounded the corner of our garage on Friday and discovered a whole bed had grown in a bare area. I'm happy something is growing there but will definitely keep an eye on it.

diane said...

So enjoy your garden/yard pictures. We can put a couple pots outside our door where we live but sure do miss seeing the first sprouts and leaves as they come out and everything else that follows.

JJM said...

Always fun to take a visual walk through your gardens. My hostas haven't even peaked through the soil yet. And my daffodils have just bloomed and tulips are budding out. So you're are still ahead of us with spring blossoms.

JJM

Needled Mom said...

That's a lot of rain. The hostas should do really well.