Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Wild weather and a quilt top................

Yesterday morning started out dry and partly sunny and not too hot so I planted my last 4 tomato plants along my driveway.  They did so well here last year that it was worth a second try.  I worked up the dirt the night before so I could get right to the planting today.
Two of the plants are the 4th of July variety which did great last year.









The other two are Early Girl which have always been a winner for me.  I like smaller tomatoes so these are perfect for salads and sandwiches.






Then it got dark and started raining really hard.  I heard we only got a little over 2" but that was in about 20 minutes.  I have shown this scene before with my bird feeders but not with the lake by them. 
Edited: I found out later that we had 3.5" in 20 minutes.



This is the backyard of my neighbor to the north and his back to back neighbors with one huge lake.












This is the backyard of the neighbor to the south.  My house sits a little higher than both of my neighbors.








There was standing water all the way up the street and it even covered the street at one spot.  We were in a severe thunderstorm warning first and a tornado watch after that.  My power went off at 1:45 and didn't come back on until 6:15 p.m.
I had 2 blocks left to sew when the power went off so last night I sewed them and then got all of the blocks sewn into a top.  It is about 32" x 49" right now so I'll look for border fabrics.  If I don't find anything I'll finish it at this size. 

We have more stormy weather predicted for later today and some rain the 2 days after that.  The farmers have not been able to get many crops planted with our extremely wet spring.

12 comments:

Mary said...

I was thinking about you when I saw the weather on the national news last night. I hope your weather improves quickly.

Debbie said...

That's a lot of rain in such a short time. Glad your power came back on and you had no damage. I love this quilt top!

patty a. said...

That is a lot of rain in such a short period of time! We finally have gotten some dryer weather although it is going to rain this afternoon. That quilt top is so pretty.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had heard your area was in bad storms yesterday that is a lot of rain in a short period so glad you didn't get tornadoes - our area is in for rain tomorrow and I hope it will not be bad. Hope your tomato plants held up under that rain.
The farmers here have not been able to get into their fields here - we have had such a wet past 6 months they say some might not get crops in at all this year because of all the rain and now the river flooding on top of that. The bottom lands that have a lot of agriculture are a mess

Hedy said...

Flooding is really bad on the Illinois and Mississippi and I imagine the Missouri too. We even got some water in my lower level which we’ve not had for years. I believe the weather has gone beserk. Your quilt is very pretty but the size is not a really good size, is it?

Needled Mom said...

That’s a lot of water! Those blocks are so pretty together.

Julierose said...

Good thing your house is higher up!! That is a ton of rain in such a short time!! Hope your tomatoes survived the downpouring....hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

I agree, nice that your home is on higher ground :)
As always your quilt work is amazing. You are an inspiration!

JJM said...

Thanks for the photos Wanda... They sure show the flooding more than words can express ! Seems like those of us that live "up north" have come through such an unusual late winter and cool, gloomy, rainy spring. But boy oh, oh boy you sure had one wicked storm. And I am imaging you heading for your sewing machine, even before you turned on any lights in your house, when the power came back on. (^._,^)

No matter what the size your Prismatic Garden is, it's a beauty. I love it .

JJM

pbj fiber marietta said...

Love the colors in this quilt. It just pops! Wish you could send some of that rain to Georgia! Glad you came through safely.

scarlett said...

You got those tomato plants in the ground just in time for the rain. Where are you at?

I love your quilt. If I was doing it, and it would be my mistake. I would have not put those "bright" fabrics in. But they make the quilt come alive, give it some spark! Love it.

Janice said...

It's been a while since I left a comment on your blog but I read them faithfully every day! This quilt is so great. I love that 3-D illusion going on (and of course, the colors rock!). :)