Sunday, May 26, 2019

Another finished quilt top..........

This is the other partially made quilt that was in that bin that I was emptying.

I started this quilt in mid October 2007.  It is the pattern "Keep Out" by Maple Island Quilts.  I did make some changes however.  The fabrics are all black and white even though some look more like gray.  When a print has about equal parts of black and white it will almost always read as gray from a distance.  This quilt top ended up at 44" x 68.5"




When I get all of these pieces sewn into blocks I'll have 3 new orphan blocks.  I have 3 boxes of orphan blocks, batik, Kaffe, and regular printed quilting cottons.  Even though they are separated that doesn't mean they won't be used together in one quilt.  It will all depend on how many blocks I have when I get ready to make another orphan block quilt.
I planted 4 of my tomato plants yesterday.  They are 4th of July, Early Girl, and Rutgers varieties.







Yes, there are already tomatoes on the plant.  It cost $5.75 and I would pay that much at the grocery store for the number of tomatoes here.  If this plant does as well as the ones last year I will have tomatoes all the way into October.






Dianthus is blooming already.  They self seed so they come back for years.  I should be seeing some other colors soon.

8 comments:

Mary said...

I have a bunch of bins I need to go through too. Thanks for the inspiration on what can be done when we put our minds to it. Nothing tastes better than home grown tomatoes.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that black and white quilt would make me dizzy LOL something about those designs that does that to me. I would get the tomato plant at that price too - mine are starting to get cherry tomatoes but the plants with the larger variety haven't started but have blossoms

JJM said...

Your Black and White quilt top is absolutely striking ! So are the fun fabrics you used.

Your soil looks so rich, I'm sure you'll have luscious tomatoes. We have to buy bagged soil to get anything to grow here. We have about 1 inch of top soil maybe and the rest is sand and gravel.

JJM

Hedy said...

I really like this black and white quilt, it’s very unusual. I’d like to plant some tomato plants this year too.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It's nice to have all that color outside after working on black and white, isn't it!

Angie in SoCal said...

Like Kathy, the B&W does make me dizzy - but then I still get car sick if I'm not driving or sitting in the front.
We have two volunteer tomato plants in the yard.

patty a. said...

The black and white quilt is gorgeous! I love the fabric in the borders! I am going to have to find out if deer eat dianthus. I love those little flowers and they would make a nice addition to my yard.

Vicki W said...

I'm gone for a week and you finish 3 quilt tops! Love this gray one.