Wednesday, May 1, 2024

One last quilt top for April.............


I am so happy I finally finished this quilt top, started in 1996 while teaching a class.

It is 36" x 42", another one I won't have to piece a back for.  I have enough of the parasol fabric for the back and binding.  I'm glad I kept the fabrics together all of those years.


I rarely make quilts with just 5 fabrics but this one turned out great, those wonderful 1990s fabrics in it.




I have to document those last blooms on the cactus because I'm not sure I have ever had one bloom this late in the spring.  I remember several in mid-April over the years but not one that will still be blooming on May 1.


I spent a lot of time outside yesterday.  After watching the weather forecast I decided it was safe to plant the first garage pot of Coleus.








Next I planted the Pansies in the pot that sits on a small table on my front porch.  The tag on the yellow ones says they are Wave Pansies.  I'll believe it when I see it.  In the center is one little group of purple ones with golden centers.  After they revive a little I'll take a closer photo of them.  This is the pot that the squirrels and chipmunks un-plant.  I need to find some plastic forks to line up all around the edges.


I dug out a Hosta that got sunburned in this spot last year and gave it to my son.  I bought a Coral Bell that that the tag says gets large to put in the hole.

I started preparing the 3 pots that sit on the porch steps but decided I had done enough for one day.  

I'll work on my monthly recap today and post it tomorrow.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

So happy that you got that old quilt put together and done--it is a beauty with those vintage fabrics...nice work...
A few new leaves on my cacti--but no more flowers...
50 here this gray, rainy morning--off to see my eye doc for my 6 mo. check up...hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The 1996 top turned out wonderful! I need to get a bunch of weeding done before I even think about starting some pots of flowers. With such a warm winter, the weeds are in full force in the flower beds and it is going to take a lot of time to get them back in shape. A couple of the lavender plants I planted last year did not make it, but I think the coneflowers plants near them will be big enough this year to fill in the gaps.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you are able to get some plants started. It has been a long winter/early spring of weather going back and forth. I'm glad the squirrels and other critters stay off the porch and leave those plants alone - I only ever notice lizards on the porch and that occasional stray dog who comes to the door thinking it might be a new home.
You have finished so many of your older projects lately that is good

Sally Langston Warren said...

Nice finish! Hard to believe the 90s were 30 years ago! I remember clearly when it was a new decade. (Remember all the discussions and concern about the impending year 2000?) Also want to add my voice to all the praises for yesterday’s post. Two beautiful quilts! Every time you blogged about the Charley quilt, I sent it to my nonquilter sister who LOVES Charley Harper’s work. The quilt needs to be on your sidebar or somewhere permanent on your website! I love the Friendship Star! So much fun to look at. Inspires me to get back to work on mine. I have been collecting more novelty fabrics to use on it. Thank you for sharing so much with us!

Nann said...

Vintage seems to get recenter and recenter, doesn't it? I think I had some of the scallopy columns in another colorway.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the 90s quilt! I did get the hydrangea pruned down, but not sure if it is truly healthy. They are Endless Summer and a lot of the stems are dead to the ground. I have not bought any annuals yet.

JJM said...

5 fabric piece from 1996 quilt is extremely beautiful Wanda, I love it. Those fabrics and design is one to treasure.

Good work day for your outside day yesterday. We had a snow show that melted away as fast as it came in , thank goodness ~ again we are in for some chilly days this week.

JJM

Penny Gold said...

The white/gold "mosaic" fabric makes such a great background!

O'Quilts said...

Great finish...still, every day you are inspiring

Vicki W said...

The quilt is really cute and it doesn't look it's age!