Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Still pairing and sewing triangles..................


I finished sewing 84 pairs of triangles last night.  I have only sewn the pink/blue combination so far.  There are 6 squares of each combination of fabrics.




I opened up one square so you can tell what this pile is; they will finish at 6".  If I follow the pattern I will need 80 squares and the rest would be the pieced border, shown on this post.  It will depend on whether I can find enough of 2 blue Kaffe collective prints for consistent border fabrics.  I would be just as happy making more squares in a variety of fabrics but I'll give it a chance as I look for fabrics today.


I have 14 pinks and 14 greens already cut into triangles.  I have another pile of 11 greens that I intend to cut so there is a dilemma.  Do I repeat some of the pinks or look for some more?  I could easily find 11 more that aren't Kaffe collective, such as more Tula Pink fabrics.  I know there are some more pink fabrics in that pile.


Look closely and you will see my squirrel deterrent in this pot.  Yesterday morning I opened the front door to check my rain gauge and there was a squirrel with a walnut in his mouth, sitting next to the pot.  He was just as surprised as I was and he ran away.  When I checked the pot I could see where he had been digging, right between the plastic pieces.  I found some more of them in the garage so I'll put a few more around the perimeter.


It looks like all three Columbine plants are the burgundy color.  The leaves on the front shorter plant look a little strange so I'm wondering it it was frost bit.








Behind those Columbines it looks like a whole bunch of new plants coming up.  There is a good chance all of the seed from the dried flower heads fell back there last fall.

My pale pink Columbine in the backyard is blooming too so I'll have to get a photo of it next.



 

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your triangle piles are growing so well--;))) Pretty colorways...
Back to our usual 56 this morning--no heat wave today--gray and awaiting rain...we are supposed to have some work done today but now we wonder if they will come...
I am thinking of a B&W print for my border on Flowering SB's...we shall see...
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm about to buy some wire cages to go around my rose bushes that are on the outside of the berry garden - just as they start to grow something is eating them - I looked on line and it says deer do eat roses bushes they don't care if there are thorns or not

Quiltdivajulie said...

I added in some additional non-KF fabrics to round out the palette and I don't think it harmed the blocks in any way. Did you get much of that bad weather last night? SW lower MI certainly did (south of my sister's family)

JJM said...

You have created such pretty pairings for this next quilt top. A treat to see it growing today and continuing in the days ahead.

Deer, Squirrels, Chipmunks, Raccoons are so cute but when they eat our gardens they are not so cute anymore. Especially when they destroy a pretty pot or garden.

JJM

Mary said...

I would check out the Tula fabrics before making a decision. Interesting squirrel deterrent. I may have to try that too. In my case it's squirrels burying acorns. Since covid I've accumulated a bunch of plastic forks that I might be able to use.

Anonymous said...

I find that black plastic forks- tines up- make great squirrel repellent!

Barbara Anne said...

Love your triangles and hope you're having fun making them. I pay no attention to the designers of my fabrics, if the colors and patterns are right, I use them in the quilt.

Love your pansies and Columbines and hope the plastic fork idea works - unless the squirrels can jump over them or wiggle in between them. You might need metal forks that don't scoot over so easily.

Hugs!

Patty said...

I really like the triangle with the flamingos. Perfectly unexpected! It was hot today, almost 80, so when I got home the coneflowers were wilting a little so I got them a drink. A couple hours later and they looked much better. Cooler tomorrow with a chance of rain; everything could use a drink.