Friday, December 17, 2021

More baking.......







I started out with the chocolate Spritz cookies and while butter softened for the shortbread cookies I made fudge.


I had a lot of questions about the Spritz cookies so here are the 2 most important parts.  The cookie press is battery powered and is my second one.  I have been using this style cookie maker for over 30 years.  Second is the butter.  Only good quality butter is used in Spritz cookies.  Store brand butter on sale is never in my kitchen.  Most lower priced butters have a higher water content and that definitely affects the dough and how it comes out of the press.


In the mail yesterday was a Christmas postcard from Vicki Welsh.  I love the colors in this one.  It was in perfect shape and was mailed without an envelope.








My collection of cards from Vicki are on display in my studio all year so I can enjoy them every single day.














Also in the studio, I cut some strips to audition as fillers in the last column to create.









This is the Kaffe fabric in the photo above.  I think it may be too strong of a color for all of the strips I will need to add.  Maybe I will add 3 different fabrics around the 3 bigger blocks.  I could actually use this fabric as 2 different using the pink area around one block and the red around another block.  The third block would probably be a medium value blue.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely card display...what a treat to see them every day...
hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The cookies and fudge look so yummy! Yes, that fabric is a strong color and I agree it would work in smaller doses. I display my Vicki postcards all year long too! They are amazing!

Libby in TN said...

That's one wild fabric. Thanks for the butter tip! I must have heard it somewhere before because I buy Kerry Gold for personal use; DH is content with store brand. Which reminds me I need to add KG to the grocery list ...

JustGail said...

I have a question on those star blocks - are the outside edges of the finished blocks supposed to be bias, and the center cross seams where the 4 triangle sections meet on straight of grain? I have an unfinished QOV top I volunteered to finish that was cut with the 12" version of the same die. I'm hoping all the bias edges don't push it past my abilities.

I'm liking your orphan block quilt top! Ms Welch has made some lovely cards, and this year is no exception.

JJM said...

Enjoyed every photo today ~ really feels like Christmas going on at your house.

JJM

Vicki W said...

I'm glad your postcard arrived in good condition!