Friday, December 3, 2021

Enjoying the only warm day..........


A day without a coat in December is a good day.  I got all but one of my pots emptied and then I opened the last bag of leaf mulch and put some around all of the plants in my front flower beds.  I hope that will keep them from frost heaving.  The Coral Bells don't really die for the winter.  Some leaves will be dead in the spring.


I'm standing between the house and the flower beds for these photos.  I wasn't sure if I needed to put the leaf much around the mini Sedum plants but I had enough of it so I did.




The plants are filling in nicely.  I hope they all survive their first winter.







I kept forgetting to check my new Burning Bushes.  The leaves didn't all change color and I'm afraid they will drop off before they do.  Next year I hope they put on a better show in the fall.







The Sedum leaves turned color on the front plant with the freeze.  The leaves are still green on the second one.  They are 2 different varieties so that might be why.




There are still a couple pansies blooming.  The squirrels have been digging in the pots and displacing some of the plants.  There is probably a walnut planted in there.

 

8 comments:

patty a. said...

Your plants look good. The only day we had this week that was 51 degrees, but it was raining so I couldn't get anything outside done. Saturday is suppose to be 45 and partly sunny, Sunday is 55 but rain. I guess I will just have to do a little bit on Saturday and see what happens on Sunday.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm working on more mulch today - next week we drop back to December temperatures in the 50's with much needed rain so I will be mostly inside if it rains.

Julierose said...

Nice job on mulching--uh, tucking in your new plants for their Winter slumber--;)))
I love the color that the sedum turns--so pretty...
We had a warmer day yesterday, but temps have gone down again overnight...
this year i am looking forward to seeing snowfall...
Hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Everything looks tucked in nice and snug. I still have one bud on one of my roses. Odds are it won't open, but hey, you never know. The red color is peeking out despite the cold.

JJM said...

Love your pavers framing your mini gardens. And there is beauty in autumn dried foliage. And also loved your pot of bright yellow pansies.

We had 65 degrees this past Tuesday, 68 on Wednesday, 62 on Thursday ~ and today it supposedly will be in the mid 40’s. It feels so much better than those unseasonably warm temps in December. Sounds like our warm days have drifted east to IL.

JJM

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Squirrels are a menace! I do not like them at all.
Your flower beds all look so nice and neat in their winter blankets!
"They" say we'll not have such a cold winter this year. I hope they are right!

Mystic Quilter said...

You're getting your garden readiesd for the cold months, I'm busy watering like crazy because of the heat!

Needledmom said...

It’s amazing that you still have blooms into December. It’ll be fun to see how much everything grows by next year.