Thursday, September 2, 2021

Monthly recap, August 2021




I had 2 finishes, just under the wire.  The pineapple log cabin quilt is 43" x 57.5" after washing and the scrappy quarter log cabin quilt is 70.5" x 87".  That takes one more off my "large quilt tops" list.  That is where I have the most waiting to be finished.







 I was happy to finish 4 quilt tops in August.  The small Economy block quilt top is 41.25" square, below it the Kaffe pastel 16 patch quilt top is 40" x 48".  In the middle, made with Kaffe collective fabrics and the Matrix pattern (by SpringLeaf Studios) is 53" x 73".  At the right, Economy block made with Kaffe collective fabrics is 66.5" x 80".


This is the fabric I used for the binding on the scrappy quarter log cabin.  Onion rings by Brandon Mably.









A closer view of the binding and backing.








The quilting is straight lines at irregular intervals and the binding is hand finished on the back.


About 95% of the scraps used were Kaffe collective fabrics so I used a wide Kaffe backing fabric.  The binding is a great accent on the front and barely shows at all with the backing.





I may try to pin the quilt a little higher on the design wall today and see if I can get a better photo.  The quilt is heavy with all of those seams and I am short......need I say more.


13 comments:

patty a. said...

You had a great month! Add into that all the work you did in the yard and let's just say you were busy! Love, love, love both finishes! That binding on the quarter log cabin was just the ticket!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a fabulous quilt finish and a wonderful way to finish off the summer!

Lesley Gilbert said...

You never fail to amaze me at the amount of sewing and gardening you do every month and create such beautiful quilts. Love seeing all your latest works :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

A color riot of quilts- all different but all great. Love them all!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love all the scrappy goodness happening in the quarter log. Lots of good movement and depth in the quilt.

Mary said...

You've had another good month, Wanda. It always feels so good to finish a large quilt and I'm still eyeing the Matrix pattern.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I really really like the way you quilted the quarter log cabins. Such a fabulous quilt! Hooray for finishes.

Needled Mom said...

You had a great month. That pineapple is just striking. It doesn't matter where you hang that last one, it is gorgeous!!!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I relate to "The quilt is heavy . . . . and I am short. and getting more careful on step stools. Love this collection of finishes. You inspire me!

JJM said...

Grand standing ovation once again Wanda, absolutely each one shows your distinctive designing talents and then some. I enjoyed the photo details of your scrappy quarter log cabin.

JJM

Mystic Quilter said...

Your quarter Log Can is a large one! I love that design, made a small one years ago in light colours but very tempted to make another in darks after seeing this one of yours, I have heaps of strips, both uniform size and clean up strips, I see you have used those in yours, It's a beauty! You've had another very productive month!!

Charlotta said...

You never make anything I don’t like! But some of them really make my heart sing; that scrappy quarter log cabin is one of them, and I love the onion fabric for the binding!

Vicki W said...

I agree with Charlotta. You just don't make anything that I don't like! The quarter square log cabin is spectacular!