Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Dumpster diving....well more like bin diving..........


I moved a design wall to get into a bin I haven't opened for a few years.  I was really surprised to find Halloween fabric but then I remembered I had made one small quilt top in 2009 with some of it.



This is the only photo I could find of it and it looks like it is just blocks on the design wall.









Also in the bin was this start of a sewing machine cover.  The shapes are untrasuede and the stitching around the appliques is done with a wooly thread.




I actually even put the rest of the background fabric in the same bin.  It is like a washed denim.







 In another bin up high on a shelf I found dotted fabric strips, 1.5" wide and 2" wide, 135 and 139 strips in the bags.  I know I made my quilt top with 168 different dotted fabrics in 2006.  I then added a dotted border and dotted back for a total of 170 dotted fabrics in the finished quilt.












I quilted it in 2009 and gave it to a great-niece as a graduation gift.  I remember I cut lots of kits for this quilt too and gave a class on it.  That is probably when I cut the strips, in 2009.  Maybe they have aged enough to be used now.

9 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Treasures! I'm sure you could something spectacular with the dots and spots.

Julierose said...

Amazing what you can find tucked away...lots of nice strips there ;)))
hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

What treasures you found! I love Halloween fabric, but didn't start buying any until the mid-2010's so I have never seen the ones you have. Those dots are fabulous. Who knew a person could accumulate 170 different dotted fabrics! Well, done Wanda!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that would be nice to find that stash of strips in dots - sounds like another quilt to make

Quiltdivajulie said...

A Wandaful spotty quarter log cabin comes to mind …

Patricia Madsen said...

Greetings Wanda!
I received my Pop Up Shop order yesterday, opened it, and spread it all out on the bar. Squeal! This is my second time shopping at your store and the quantity and variety is amazing. The fabrics are in great condition, and shipping was so fast. Thank you Wanda for offering such a unique product I can't purchase anywhere else.
Regards, Pat
P.S. I took your Colorwash class last October. I learned so much from you and the finished wallhanging gets lots of praise from family and friends. I have been slowly working my way through your tutorials and a bin of batiks this year. Tons of fun.

Connie said...

My favorite quilts are those made from "bin diving", so colorful and cheery.

JJM said...

What a fun “Bin dive” you shared with us today. Of course you’d have the most facinanting pieces… Halloween fabaraics, appliqued sewing machine cover, and g’zillion dots on all those fabrics and a quilt besides. All so intriguing and fun.

JJM

Nann said...

You're really exploring the Deep Stash, Wanda! (I have a ziploc bag of Ultrasuede scraps for an as-yet-unstarted/unplanned art quilt.)