Saturday, March 13, 2021

Playing all day.........


I can see this is going to be fun to play with on the design wall.  There are only 3 seams from top to bottom and 7 seams side to side so this would be square if sewn now.  It will be a little deceiving in the layout compared to how it will look sewn.



I added another row to the bottom to see how it will look expanded.  Lots more cutting and lots more playing in my future.











Meanwhile I keep looking at the Hattie's Choice quilt.  There are lots of perfect and almost perfect black points matching.





And then there are areas with points that aren't quite meeting.  If I pick out 2 every night and fix them it might not seem like such a chore.  Or I could leave them because in the overall look they aren't noticed.



Yesterday morning I had company.  My granddaughter and the 3 great-grandchildren are here from 2 states away and they along with my other local granddaughter came over for a fun time outside.  The littlest is almost 18 months and the other 2 are 4 1/2 and 7.  We went around to the backyard to see if anything was coming up and found these crocuses just past my lot line in my neighbor's yard.  I think squirrels must have planted them because I don't remember seeing them in previous years.
 

12 comments:

Kathy said...

If your Hattie's Choice quilt is not going into competition, there is absolutely no reason to make any "imperfections" get corrected. It's done, you do not notice them, and the overall look is great1 Don't spend time on things that really, really do not matter!

Julierose said...

I like the "Op=Art" look to your new dies' setting...
so far, no crocus has poked up here ...
Much colder by 10 degrees this morning...I guess winter isn't gone yet despite Daylight Savings Time having arrived...;000
hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

The squirrels and/or chipmunks have transplanted the crocus all over my yard including moving some from the front yard to the back. Meanwhile they've almost disappeared from the places they were originally planted. I really like the new project developing.
Pat

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I would only pick pieces out to correct if it really bothers you - I wouldn't notice if not pointed out

BatikFanatic said...

At this point in my life I(I'm a few years behind you, but not too far...) I ask myself — Is this what I want to spend my time doing?? (That is, picking apart seams to make maybe a 1/32nd inch realignment of points), or do IO want to appreciate that it's a beautiful quilt, that no one other than a very persnickety person would even notice a tiny gap, and go on to your next creation.
If it's going into a competition, as noted above, that's another story.
Hattie's Choice is one of my favorites of those you've done recently. I wouldn't change a stitch!
(And your new design wall work-in-progress is truly gasp-worthy!

Nann said...

These are gorgeous!

Sharon Stroud said...

Sorry to disagree but I would fix them. Personal best and all that. After my stroke it took me about a year and a half to even sew and several months to be able to pin and rip. I have not relaxed my personal standards. I always figure sometime, and when I least expect it, someone will think my standards have slipped or that I can no longer do better work. Just my opinion.

Anne said...

I like to have things match, but if they don't I remind myself that I'm not entering it in a quilt show, and most of the irregularities (unless they're really bad) will disappear with quilting.

But it drive ME crazy when I know there's something wonky in one of my quilts.... unless it's intentionally wonky!!!

JJM said...

Really interesting opinions whether to rip and re-stitch or not. I vote with you.... Whatever you decide is just fine with me. 😉
The fabrics in your new blocks are amazing, and perfect to show off your new die.

Isn't spring wonderful..... New beginnings with Crocuses to warm your heart. And a house full of GRAND AND GREAT children.

JJM

patty a. said...

If the points not matching bugs you then go ahead and fix them. Sounds like you had a fun time with your company. The crocus are so pretty. I use to have some but the deer at them.

Tammy Hutchinson said...

Hattie's Choice kept me interested all through, and I agree that whatever makes you happy with it is the right course forward. I'm so glad you got to spend time with the little ones! I'm so looking forward to my first visit, in a couple weeks, after a year apart, with my 5 yr. old granddaughter. Technology has kept us close but there in nothing like being together, inside or out.

Vicki W said...

Those blocks are going to be so much fun to play with!