Friday, March 26, 2021

Backing indecision............

I did more sorting and cutting in the basement yesterday and then I started looking for backing for the batik Bear Paw quilt.  I have enough of both of these but indecision kept me from cutting and sewing it.




I filled the bird feeder and then grabbed my camera for some of the earliest signs of spring here.  All of my Sedum plants have begun to grow.  I think they look like little green roses at this stage.



I have 2 Coral Bell plants that I dug up 2 years ago and they have wintered over fine in pots ever since.  I need to trim all of the dead leaves off this one.





Some of the Pulmonaria/Lungwort plants stay green all winter and others die away.  This is the first plant with buds and a bloom.





If you look really carefully you can see the tips of a Hosta peeking through the dirt.  This is the only one of the 30 or so of my Hostas that I have seen any sign of so far.  It looks like a tiny Pulmonaria plant with buds in this photo too.
 

9 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I love it when you see little buds sprouting up, knowing they survived the winter and won't be long before they start to bloom. I have Hyacinths in bloom - they were given as Xmas presents then replanted into soil and have blossomed for the past 5 years I think! My Clematis have green leaves and I've not cut them back yet so may be too late now. Keep sharing your plants progress :)

Julierose said...

Oh the sedum does look like little rosettes;)).
I always have a hard time deciding on a backing...
Those bear paws are so pretty...
hugs, Julierose

Libby in TN said...

Lovely signs of spring! Every day is an adventure in the yeard. My peonies popped up overnight (or so it seemed).

Marnie Haines said...

Good morning, Wanda,
Love the plants coming up. Daffodils appeared yesterday in western PA. The lines on the batik on the right look like they could be made by a bear paw. Keep having fun. Your work is such a delight. Thank you for all your posting!

JJM said...

Eagerly waiting to see which fabric you'll decide on for the back of your Bear Paw..

Your spring yard plants are way ahead of mine. Must be the altitude difference.

JJM

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi Wanda,
Not warm enough here to put them out, but we have perennials in pots in our garage, and they are growing in the dark! One of them, a Pulmonaria, is even blooming. It is still freezing at night and we have not watered them enough for this to happen!!

My two cents: I like the blue backing...just because of the color!

patty a. said...

It is so fun to go around the yard and see things starting to come back. I will have to post a picture of my Lenten Roses. They are covered with flowers.

Nann said...

I'd use both for the back. (I piece backs most of the time.) I need to get out in the yard.

Needled Mom said...

Spring is popping up all around you.