Friday, September 6, 2019

The county fair............

I'm always talking about my friends who come over to sew and one of them won the purple "best of category" on two of her quilts.  This one is the barn quilts from NC in the blocks.

















This is her other one which she calls lanterns.  Remember this is a county fair not a quilt show in an auditorium.  The quilts are folded and hanging on pipe rails.  This building houses all of the home arts including the food entries.














Another friend who comes over to sew occasionally won 2 purple ribbons too and one of them is on this Hunter Star quilt made of Australian fabrics.






This section of quilts is to the right of the purple ribbon winners.










More of my friends' quilts are in this section and in the photo above.










One of my reasons for wanting to go to the fair is to get an elephant ear.  I had already had a few bites when I remembered to take the photo.  My friend gave me a ride out to the fair and I walked the mile home eating this treat.   More photos tomorrow.
Now it is time to get some basting done so I can have some finishes this month.  This colorwash combines batiks and printed quilting fabrics.  

My Colorwash360 online class will open for enrollment later this month once again with a live 6 week session.  During that time I have a once a week live broadcast where students can ask questions and I answer them on the spot.

13 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

Well done to all your friends achievements. I like the 'lanterns' quilt which I guess is another arrangement of the 'mountain' style quilts. There was a good selection for the judges to choose from in the large hall.
I can't believe you ate all that elephants ear on the way home, as it looks quite thick, but yummy - is it like a doughnut/donut taste? Have a great sewing weekend :)

patty a. said...

What a wonderful selection of beautiful quilts! You have a talented group of friends!

Julierose said...

Just lovely ribbon winner quilts! I really like that lanterns hugs, Julierose P.S. Elephant ears are perfect reason to visit a fair!!;)))

Debbie said...

Beautiful winning quilts of your friends. All those quilts displayed would make a wonderful quilt show.

Linda Swanekamp said...

You keep great quilty company! There are some lovely quilts there- wish they all could show off their whole self. Congrats to the ribbon winners.

JJM said...

THANK YOU Wanda for the photo trip to the "women's building" at the Fair. Your friends created FANTASTIC quilts and I know you are happy for them too. I know where you live and I can't believe it is just one mile from the Fair .... I'm counting the city blocks my head and it's one strong mile plus I think. But you were in good company with your elephant ear. (^._.^)

Color wash is another Wanda special.

JJM

Anonymous said...

This makes me long for a near by fair to visit! The quilts are wonderful, you and your friends are a formidable talent pool! And how great an elephant ear would taste right now!

ceci

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations to your friends!! County Fairs are such fun - especially the food - LOL - ;))

Kerry said...

Oh my goodness! That is indeed a huge handful of deliciousness! Well named for the shape.
Thank you for sharing the photos of all those quilts - I never know how judges can make a decision with all those beauties. I see a tractor too - beautiful effort from the quilters. Well done to those that took home rosettes too.

Kathryn said...

Wonderful fair pictures. My local fair this year only had 30 quilts - this in a city where our guild easily has 20 quilts a month for show and tell. I think their categories are to restrictive and volunteered to suggest new categories. Could you direct me to your fair's website so that I can see what your categories are? They certainly are inspired your local quilters. Thanks so much.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a colourful quilty post! I have never heard of an elephant ear - is this a sweet or savoury?

Fabric Fanatic said...

first of all, thanks for posting pictures of your local quilt show....I enjoy them, but hardly ever see pictures of them online. I go to quilt shows, not as much as I used to when I was more able to walk distances, but still in a small auditorium I can manage. Anyway, you don't know how enjoyable it has been to visit this quilt show you provided.
Second of all, can I have a bite of that elephant ear? lol
c'mon share.

Dolly said...

Thank you for sharing all of these fair photos. I am so glad to see such participation in this tradition !

Our local fair has brought back the home goods competition/exhibits in the last few years, and gaining participation has been slow, but steady. A newly taught friend of mine joined me in entering quilts this year.

I, too, live a mile from where our local county fair is held ! I admire you walking home.......must be more enjoyable when it's done while munching on that tasty treat ! Cinnamon sugar ????? Yum !