Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Caterpillar parade..........

Two friends I hadn't seen for quite awhile came by yesterday.  He wanted a couple milkweed leaves and I mentioned that I hadn't seen any caterpillars for almost a week and I was about ready to pull out the milkweed.  He came back in the house all excited and said I had 3 caterpillars on one plant.  It is on the one I called Swamp Milkweed and he said it is also called Butterfly Weed.
While I was looking at those 3 he spied another one on a little milkweed plant right next to the sidewalk.







We kept looking and found another one.....










and another one.  They shed their skin several times in their short life and you can tell which stage they are in by their stripes.  I haven't seen any Chrysalis yet but I did see a couple Monarch butterflies last week.  I hope they are ones that I helped create by having the milkweed available.
Last night I made 2 more stars for the solids with prints quilt and both have London inspired fabric.  I have been to London, the only far away place I have ever visited.

7 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I'd wondered if the caterpillars were still alive as you'd not mentioned them for a while - how long do you think they are now? I've not seen a milkweed plant so nothing to compare it with so I'm guessing about 3".
Of course I love your London fabrics - I've got some but not those 2. I enjoyed seeing all the different varieties of items entered into the County Fair :)

patty a. said...

Well in 9 - 14 days you will know if the caterpillars turned into butterflies.

The blocks are pretty! I had to google it this morning to figure out the farthest I have traveled. From home to Grand Cayman is 1467 miles, from home to Del Mar California 2359.

Julierose said...

Very pretty British block stars!
Hugs, julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just love the catepillars that turn into Monarchs! I alwsys love seeing them. Hope to get some milkweed seeds for next year.
Great blocks.

starsthatblaze said...

Your London fabrics are cute. I see that in each block you've carefully placed the print patches in the same orientation, right-side-up so to speak. When you assemble the quilt will there be a definite top and bottom, or will different blocks face different directions? I usually orient mine with an obvious top, but I know some quilters who like the mixed-up variety.

JJM said...

I haven't seen a monarch caterpillar or butterfly all season. Hope you can catch the butterfly on camera for show and tell. (^._.^)
Charming London inspired prints.

JJM

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I just see the little droppings on the leaves and then I know to look for caterpillars. Fortunately for us, we had some tiny caterpillars on a milkweed earlier this summer. The next day, unfortunately, the plant had been devoured. We blame Bambi. We live 5 minutes from downtown, but we live in the middle of a deer herd. Next year we will protect the milkweed plants better and maybe transplant more into our fenced vegetable garden.
deb