Sunday, September 8, 2019

The County fair, post 3............

There is always a wide selection of Christmas items entered in the fair.










The bottom row here is Christmas afghans and quilts.  The second from the left is Sarah's and is a One Block Wonder laid out like a huge Christmas ornament.  Maybe I can get a better photo to show you if she brings it to my house some day.




This is one more section of quilts with an interesting variety.

Today is the last day of our 5 day fair.















My row of zinnias is doing well.  I'm so glad we didn't have many Japanese beetles this year because they love Zinnia leaves.

I mowed my front lawn Friday night until it got to dark to see what I was doing.  I finished the sides and backyard yesterday afternoon.


I have seen some Painted Lady butterflies along with some smaller moths on the flowers.  My purple Asters are just starting to bloom and the bees are really thick around them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been such a good year for zinnias! Mine are in the vegetable garden which includes some butterfly bushes, and have thus been very popular with the butterflies of all colors and sizes. Almost no bees for us this year, except for a tiny kind of bumble bee which has been doing a lot of pollinating and zinnia visiting.

I am thinking a lot about a Lantern quilt a la the one at the fair; perhaps in light bright colors for the lanterns with a dark moody background?

ceci

Libby in TN said...

That was an amazing number of quilted items for a county fair! Lots of talented quilters in your area.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I missed all the fairs this year down here. I'll plan to do better next year! A neighbor on the road has a big veggie garden with an entire row of Zinnias!!! It was/is beautiful, although nearly spent. Will make a better effort to get a photo next summer and plan to plant some here too!!! Might have to intersperse them with the hollyhocks???? I bet the OBW is lovely, hopefully you can talk Sarah into bringing it with her for a picture!

BatikFanatic said...

I've so enjoyed these posts from the fair — the variety of quilts is astounding! While I may not be attracted to a particular type of quilt I always admire the time and care and skill that goes into making the quilt, and seeing all these together reminds me how fortunate I am to be among these good-hearted talented people.

JJM said...

And one more photo of the quilt entries plus some Christmas items, from the fair. You couldn't have made me any happier !

Zinnias and Asters are such a hardy looking blossoms. And add to the beauty of autumn .

JJM

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have to get out there and take some photos of the zinnias ann four oclocks which are doing real well. Love all those quilts.

Kerry said...

So many wonderful things on show - all the knitting too! I did rather like the star with the central four patch. Not sure of the one below it - Burgoyne Surrounded? But that's pretty too in Christmas colours and baubles in the quilting pattern.
Your zinnias are quite lovely - hmmmm, we haven't any asters here . . . yet! But something to add to the list of must haves, if only for the late autumn food for the bees.
Thank you for showing the fair photos - so much to see indeed.

patty a. said...

Your zinnias are so pretty. I should have planted some this year.