Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Finish #3 for July 2019

The hand finished binding is done.  To refresh details on this quilt, most of the fabrics are Hoffman batiks from their first years of production in the early 1990s.  This was about the full range of colors in the early batiks too.  For the quilters who just started using batiks in the last 10 years, you have an unlimited range of colors now compared to the limited range we had back then.
The backing is from that time period too but the binding is a recent batik.  

It is about 40" x 53.5", a small throw quilt. (or it could be a wallhanging in a neutral gray room)

















The binding print has fairly large motifs but the fabric worked really well with all of the older batiks.  It has a charcoal gray background.





I took a walk though my main hosta bed last night and found a huge Lungwort plant with huge spots on the leaves.  It is thriving back there in the deep shade.

11 comments:

patty a. said...

Congratulations on another finish! The quilt turned out lovely! I didn't get home until almost 7 so I didn't even get to go visit my squash and see how they were doing. The Lungwort is an interesting plant and looks good next to the hosta.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratualtions on another terrific finish! It looks wonderful and love the borders and binding.

JJM said...

Another beautiful, stunning, "Exuberant " quilt Wanda. An absolute beauty to look at.

JJM

Connie said...

You know, you picked the perfect name for your blog, because you certainly stay true to it's title. I absolutely love your colorful quilts :)

SueR said...

Batiks had a very different flavor back then, it seems to me. I have a bunch of older ones too,some of which seem quite odd to me. I never quite knew what to do with them. A very nice finish indeed.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Pretty finish.

O'Quilts said...

that is a lovely finish Wanda

Mystic Quilter said...

Even if the batiks are some years old they've still made up into a lovely quilt. I think I began on batiks around the same time as you did and gave quite a lot of my earlier ones away as the more colourful Hoffmans came on the market.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gorgeous finish -- love the charcoal feel.

Vicki W said...

That block reminds me of a book I had that I think was co-authored by Judy Hooworth. They used the rectangle to make a lot of different quilt designs. I think I made a couple of quilts from that book.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I love this quilt - pretty colors and a sun dappled mood. The border adds a lot.