Friday, July 5, 2019

2 more blocks............

I sewed two more postage stamp blocks yesterday.  The bottom right one is a pale lavender even though it looks white or pale gray in the photo.

Donnie asked yesterday whether I do the twirling seam thing (when pressing) and the answer is no, I have never done it.  I have been quilting 61  years and have only made a couple quilts where it might have helped the bulk.  I think that method is right up there with hand tying and burying all of the thread ends.  I use a backstitch on the sewing machine, don't hand tie and bury ends.  Some of these newer techniques came about when the winners of the $10,000 prize at a show told some of their tricks. I'm not entering contests, I'm having fun.
I laid out block number 7 on my little flannel covered foam board.









Then I filled in with the prints.  I may change out a couple of the really light pieces.

One more scorcher of a day today and then we are supposed to get 3 days of relief but it will still be warm.  I would love to have the windows open at night again.


16 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wanda, you are too funy. You are "not entering shows, but having fun." Well, you certainly inspire me to have fun. Love the blocks. You explain things so well. You started quilting when I was 4. Daunting.

Mary said...

A postage stamp quilt has been on my want-to-do list for a long time. This one looks like a lot of fun.

Hedy said...

I’m thinking those little squares are about an inch ? I’ve decided I don’t like sewing with small squares anymore. I do love postage stamps quilts though, but I’ll buy one if I need one. 61 years quilting is a long time. I’ve been sewing 62 years but not quilting.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate twirling seams too and sometimes do and sometimes don't just depends on my mood!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Way to go Wanda! Your small flannel covered foam board is a SUPER idea for projects like this one.

Debora Exum said...

A postage stamp quilt has been on my list for a long time as well. I love varying the background squares. I was always afraid I would lose interest but this keeps each block fresh. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading your blog every day.

Julierose said...

Love your postage stamp blocks--especially the fact that are using a solid alternate color in each one...very pretty work hug for a great weekend...Julierose

O'Quilts said...

Good job Wanda....fun it is!!!!

Lynn Dykstra said...

I also do not twirl seams or bury ends. I despise paper piecing and trimming triangles. And I am fine with twisted seams.

LOVE how your postage stamps are turning out!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Wanda, looking good. You will be done with these blocks in no time.

em's scrapbag said...

I adore your postage stamp blocks!

Needled Mom said...

I love these blocks.

JJM said...

Your blocks are so bright, sunny and full of fun. How big are your little squares, and what is the seam allowance ? I'm enjoying your progress of these.

JJM

Dorothy said...

I know that "postage stamp" squares are suppose to finish at 1"--too small for me. In my versions of "postage stamp" they finish at 1 1/2" The smallest pieces I save are 2" unfinished :-) And it is amazing what you can do with that size too. (have been quilting since 1970--self taught)

Janice Holton said...

Wanda, I absolutely love these solid fabric checkerboard postage stamp blocks! I checked out the quilter who inspired you to make them as well. I'm in love with these scrappy blocks. Can you give me quick rundown about your process for sewing the squares together? Do you sew one long row together and then sew the rows together or do you sew 4 patches into 16 patches and so on and so on.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

A postage stamp quilt is on my to-make list too. Yours is coming along beautifully! I don't twirl seams or bury threads either. Quilting is my hobby and I am going to do everything I can to follow only my own rules.