Thursday, July 25, 2019

I turned on the longarm machine............

I remember how excited I was to get my longarm machine 10 1/2 years ago.  My shoulder had been giving me problems for a few years and now I knew I would get a lot of quilts quilted.  Then after a few years reality hit; I still had to decide which thread color to use and figure out how I wanted to quilt to quilt the quilt.  I have never used a panto, always just did free motion or channel lock straight line stitching.  After a little more than 100 quilts it seems harder each time deciding on the quilting so I just don't turn the machine on for months.


Yesterday I loaded this Marcia Derse fabric quilt and decided on the straight line or channel quilting with irregular spacing.





The medium beige thread that was already on the machine looks good with these fabrics.







It is Superior So Fine thread so it hardly shows up.  I used a new to me Hobbs batting.  I think it is called Plush but I'll have to look it up to be sure.




It is all trimmed ready for binding and hopefully will be a finish for this month.

16 comments:

patty a. said...

The quilting looks great!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, looks so good! Congratulations on turning it on and finishing.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love that texture! Sometimes the simplest quilting is just what a top needs.

Debra Campbell said...

Straight line quilting seems all the rage these days so your quilting choice is spot on!

Vicki W said...

I think you could do straight line or wavy line quilting on almost every quilt!

Fabric Fanatic said...

I didn't realize you did your own long-arm quilting ~ I like it. I favor simplicity and as I mostly favor solid color fabrics nowadays, I think they do the quilt justice. I am not in favor of quilting that takes away appreciation of the quilt design, so simple works best for me. I've had several people who do long-arm quilting tell me that they don't do straight line quilting ~ do you know why that is? I can't figure out why either, but I know that for large quilts (anything over double bed size, queen or heavens forbid, king) I must send the quilt out for quilting.
I want to see the one you are working on when it's off the machine....so I can see the whole thing. I love it already!

sewyouquilt2 said...

Awesome quilt

TriciaQuilts said...

I love the straight line on this beautiful piece!
Any idea what the pattern name is?

Quiltdivajulie said...

I spend far too much time pondering HOW to quilt a quilt when the simple approach is almost always the most suitable. One day I hope I learn to relax and just go for it.

Gwen's blog said...

Love the simplicity too!

JJM said...

Love that quilting stitch. And looks great on that quilt top.

JJM

Unknown said...

Beautifully done. I also have a hard time deciding what to quilt. I always load a quilt that way I can see it better and it helps me decide! Hope this helps you too.

Unknown said...

Straight line quilting doesn't stand up. The thread breaks. It's beautiful, it is beautiful but the wear a quilt gets breaks/snaps the thread.

You make the bed, you have to claim your share when HE rolled up in quilt. I learned the hard way. My favorite quilt has the threads broken.

Hedy said...

I’ve been using a silver gray thread in my longarm and it’s working with everything. I don’t turn mine on for months either.

Unknown said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Would you ever be interested in selling your long arm.

WesternWilson said...

I am thinking of getting a longarm hoping that will speed up that part of quilt creation....is that realistic? Would be interested in hearing how your transition to longarm affected your quilting.