Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Another treasure uncovered............

This is another find from my treasure hunt last Friday when my friends were here.  I had a group ask if I would teach Double Irish Chain from Blanche Young and Helen Young Frost's book.  I think I cut enough pieces for a 70" x 90" quilt.



This would be the layout for a traditional version of the quilt.  Why did it get put away for over 15 years?  When I measured for the gray strip down the center of the alternate blocks I was off by 1/4" or maybe I didn't remember the measurement right and just did the cutting wrong.  The alternate blocks are 1/4" bigger than the 25 patch blocks.  I have enough strips of the gray print cut to make all new alternate blocks after trimming 1/4" off the strip.
I decided to try an alternate layout to see if I would rather not deal with the alternate blocks and just finish making the 25 patch blocks.  I can salvage the center strips of the alternate blocks to cut sashing if I do this version.

I still like the fabrics in this quilt.




This has always been a favorite gray print.

Since I like the fabrics and there are lots of blocks already made and more strip sets already sewn I will finish this one of the 2 ways above.  Do you like one better than the other?

Here is my latest tomato harvest.  The ones at each end need to ripen for at least 2 or 3 more days.  The large ones are Early Girl and the 2 small ones are 4th of July variety.

17 comments:

Marianne C said...

Could you take a small pin tuck In the alternate blocks to even em out?

Lesley Gilbert said...

I like the 3rd photo, using sashing with a dark corner stone in each corner :)

Hedy said...

These are both really nice but..I love Irish Chain quilts. Your fabrics are lovely, especially the gray.

patty a. said...

This quilt top would fit perfectly with the other red quilts you have made this year. I like the Double Irish Chain setting because it does show off that fabulous gray fabric.

Gene Black said...

Odd for me to say, but I really like the traditional setting for these blocks.

JustGail said...

I like the traditional a bit better. Love the color combination and that *is* a great gray fabric.

And now for a suggestion that will probably get the quilt police called on me - why not trim 1/8 inch off each side of the alternate blocks? Yes, that would mean that the alternate block's corner squares will not quite meet the 25 patch blocks corner squares. I have a feeling that when finished, it probably would not be noticeable. If it is, invoke the rule that one "off" item is a mistake, repeat it frequently on a project and it's a design feature. And if anyone still won't let it go, they can go.... take a hike.

Becky said...

I have to side with those liking traditional. It is beautiful that way. But if finish it up is the idea, the one with sashing will still be stunning.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the arrangement with the sashing/without the alternate blocks - and I understand why you like that gray fabric (I do too).

JJM said...

I honestly like both layouts, your fabrics are so beautiful, no matter which design you decide on . I agree it is a treasure .

JJM

cbg1 said...

I like the traditional layout with the alternate blocks the best. It really makes the chain pop and I bet after 15 years you have the skills to make the measurements work our. I have used Blanche Young's instructions in the past--they are really great.

Shepherdess55 said...

I vote for the alternate layout (not the Irish Chain).

Anonymous said...

I vote traditional, photo #1. Can you trim already cut alternate blocks? Did I read that they are too big? Then you can see big chunks of the grey. Other set is too dark and dense for my taste. It's your quilt; I'm sure it will be lovely!

Mary J said...

I love the Irish Chain❤️

Sally Langston Warren said...

I like the traditional Irish Chain, as you originally planned. I don’t quite follow what the problem/solution is for the alternate block. But seems you are saying you can alter it to be correct size?

Cindy P. said...

I’m really drawn to the Irish Chain quilt designs and yes, that is a lovely gray fabric! Happy 4th to you!

Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net said...

I love both layouts, and I have always loved the Irish Chain, but for some reason I am actually drawn to the alternative layout. Your fabrics are beautiful, and I know I will love whatever way you go. You always make such beautiful quilts.

Charlotta said...

I prefer the Irish Chain.