Saturday, July 27, 2019

Fun day Friday................

My friends and I had a fun day yesterday.  We each work on our own projects and spend a good amount of time solving the problems of our town and the rest of the world while laughing about all kinds of silly things.  After lunch out we had ice cream and fresh blackberries thanks to one of the friends.

I worked on the blocks shown here.  I sew a left side and top strip plus corner square onto each of the blocks.
Once I have that done on all of the blocks then I add the corner square and end strip on each end of row block.  I add a corner square and strip to the bottom of every bottom row block and then the whole quilt is ready to sew together.
After they left I got out my new roll of batting to cut for two quilts.









This is the new to me batting I mentioned that I used on the quilt I showed yesterday.








Here is a close up of the facts about the batting.













I got the next quilt loaded on the machine but was too tired to quilt it after pulling weeds for about an hour.

9 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I like how you've finished those red blocks with the sides and corner stones. I've thought about doing that before so it's good to know an 'expert' uses the same method :) That's what I like about my crafty class - we do our own thing (sewing, knitting, crochet etc) while having a good natter and sharing ideas. I'm the only machine sewer so I sometimes manage to sell a few smaller items then reinvest in more fabric haha. At last we are having a cooler day with some rain but will be warming up again tomorrow, so I need to do some housework while I have some energy left.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

solving the worlds problems and chatting with friends while quilting and visiting sounds perfect and the ice cream with berries - perfect!

Hedy said...

It sounds as if you had a perfect day! Love those quilts.

JJM said...

Great post today Wanda. You and friends really had a productive day. I like your new blocks and reading the progression of your stitches. The new batting sounds great. . . And yet you still had enough energy to go out and do some weeding in your gardens. Bet you slept well last night.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

I use Hobbs 80/20 -- I wonder how your "new" batting compares to my usual. Hmmm...

Needled Mom said...

Isn't it fun to solve all the world's problems with friends??? lol

I haven't tried that batting. Do you prefer it over the others?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a fun day - can't beat good friends - ice cream and berries! I make my Sudoku quilt blocks the same way - but I "just reverse it". I add the right side then the bottom sash with a corner square to each block - then add the left side to the first block in each row - and the tops to the top row blocks - then sew it together like a 9-patch. Great minds and all of that - LOL - ;))

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

How would you say the Plush compares (thickness, softness, drape) to the regular Warm and Natural??? Or to a Hobbs natural cotton? No sewing here!!! But the weather is going to get nice and cooler for the first week of August!!!

Cathy said...

I have used Warm and Plush exclusively for about 4 years (for my personal quilts). I prefer its thickness to Warm and Natural or Hobbs 80/20, which I use for charity quilting. I love those blocks you’re working on!!!! And maybe you could pass on your solutions to the folks in DC!! :-)