Monday, June 17, 2019

Some bow tie fun and surprises.............

I didn't draw this out in advance on graph paper so I was surprised when there was a gap in the third ring.  I said on yesterday's post that 3 small bow ties = 2 large ones so in my mind I thought I could just making rings and they would fit.......wrong!


Then I decided to try rows and chose horizontal rather than vertical.  This layout would work well and I could do double rows of both sizes, or double row of one size and single row of the other size as well as single rows of each as I show here.  And yes, I see the one small one turned the wrong way...or is that an accidental design element?

12 comments:

Danice G said...

It looks beautiful to me. Your bow ties are colorful and cheerful. I use graph paper sometimes too, and not being good at math sometimes make miscalculations.

Lesley Gilbert said...

Lovely colours as always. I was thinking a grid of 6 x 6 small bow ties would fit in the middle - guess it depends how many you want to sew. It's not a block I've tried before but there are many other blocks I've not tried either haha. Enjoy another sewing day :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Lots of colors, lots of possibilites. I am sure you will rearrange until you are satisfied.

patty a. said...

Those are some pretty blocks! They will make a lovely top no matter how you arrange them.

Marnie Haines said...

What a beauty this will be! I think you are referring to the small bowtie in next to bottom row, second one in from the right. Enlarged, it look like it is just going in the opposite direction from the others- perhaps a block with its own sense of direction?

Lynn Dykstra said...

Oh, I like where this is headed.

Sam said...

First layout; if you made the small bow ties doubled up( a double row/column), would that make it work out?
Love the one going the wrong way.

JJM said...

I'm always intrigued when you have a design dilemma, and I anxiously wait to see how you will work it out.

JJM

Kevin the Quilter said...

Thanks for the inspiration for using up some of my Kaffe fabrics! I love this idea!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your bowties! You could also add strips of 3 squares to fill in the gaps in the first one - like LindaS did on her tiny stars - ;))

Vicki W said...

I've had bow tie blocks on my wish list for a long time. I love how you are using 2 sizes and really like the row layout.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful colors and I really like the use of two sizes of bow tie blocks (even if they did surprise you with the gaps in the planned layout).