Wednesday, June 19, 2019

My digging project...............

I helped a friend with 2 sets of quilt blocks on my design walls yesterday morning and then we went to lunch.

Late in the afternoon I worked on my digging project.  I have mentioned my front garden with the invasive Vinca and another invasive plant a couple times.  They both spread underground.  It is my fault I didn't keep digging it out every year so this year I am tackling the monstrous project.  I dig about 2 square feet a day exposing the roots of the plants and shaking off as much dirt as possible as I remove the plants.  The area to the right that has darker dirt is where I was working yesterday.  I dig out the plants that I want to keep and plant them in pots for the time being.  I figure if I can get 90% of the roots out of there I have a fighting chance to be able to plant flowers here again.
And speaking of invasive plants, I have these everywhere.  I let them go ahead and bloom and then pull them out right afterward.










This group of them is right next to the Lamium that I showed a couple days ago.

7 comments:

patty a. said...

That is a big job! You are smart to just do an small section every day so you don't overexert yourself. You have so many areas in your yard that need tending, it is hard to keep up with them all! I know! I have a bed that needs a lot of TLC too. I covered the majority of it last summer with black plastic to kill the weeds. I had some roadside day lilies there too, but I don't care if those live or die - they got covered up too. I have lots more in the yard I can transplant. It is not a big bed, but it is going to take some work to get it in shape so I can plant something. I have a mugo pine in that bed too and it has gotten absolutely huge! A serious trimming is going to have to happen.

Little by little you will get that bed back in shape!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

digging out the vinca is such a project - I had dug out one small bed in the early spring and planted a weeping cherry tree and then put a few annuals in around the tree. I really thought I had all the other plants out of there :) I should have known better LOL - a small amount of vinca is growing back in there and some of the wild violets and even a day lily!

JJM said...

By now you probably have your digging done. Getting those roots out is a big job. Hope you didn't over do getting it done.

We have a 4 tier garden, with railroad ties devideing the tiers. It had gotten so wild I dug it all up and we laid paver like rocks over weed mat. I saved my rose bushes, a hydraingia, bearded irises, barberries, etc. way more rocks than plants. But a surprise this spring was the plants that wiggled up between the weed mat and rocks along the railroad ties. Especially the evasive ones.

JJM

Needled Mom said...

Isn't it a shame that such pretty plants have to be so invasive?

Kerry said...

Love the campanula! I think it's good to have that 2ft task - it means you don't overdo it, which is my problem!

Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net said...

I know Vinca, but do you know the name of the second plant? It is pretty, but if it isn't what you want then goodbye plant:) We have had to learn new plants since our move to AL from IL 6 years ago.

Hedy said...

Love that purple plant.