Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Really Mr Squirrel?..............

I knew my granddaughter was stopping by to pick up some things yesterday morning so I opened the front door before she got here and this is what I saw.  Mr. Squirrel brought his walnut all the way from the back of my lot to my front porch to chew off the outer coating ...... and of course walnut leaves a stain so I have some dirty looking steps now.
This is not an extra large Milkweed leaf, it is a teeny tiny Monarch caterpillar.  I didn't see him later so I'm not sure if he is in a safe place or not.





There are 2 caterpillars in this photo and the bottom one has fallen down onto a hydrangea leaf.  Now he is going to have to travel aways to get himself back onto the Milkweed which is the only plant they eat.








Here is the third large caterpillar on the edge of a leaf.  I hope they find a safe place to form their Chrysalis.

I was busy with many things around the house yesterday so I didn't get much sewing done, just a little of hand stitching on the binding.

10 comments:

patty a. said...

I am rooting for the caterpillars that they survive long enough to turn into butterflies!

Julierose said...

We've had quite a few caterpillars around too...one (whose name escapes me) deforests areas--so he got eliminated ;000
We don't have any milkweed here--and I recall having a lot when I was a child..
We go to a landing on the CT River where the butterflies all congregate before their flight South for the Winter and see trees covered in them--just a beautiful sight. Hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Next year, I am going to find some milkweed seeds and plant them for the monarchs. Every since my heart attack, monarchs hold special meaning for me and I want to keep them going.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Our local squirrels make a table out of our cable box. They leave it strewn with half-eaten pears from the neighbor's trees. Ugh! The ants march in to get what Senor Squirrel leaves behind.

JJM said...

Squirrels, monarch catapillars, sure is a sign of autumn. We've got little 'pine squirrels', the mess they make from our ponderosa pines, it is like we had a hurricane come through. From chewed off end tufts of branches plus huge pine cones and all have fallen onto the lawn, and he just leaves his mess behind.

JJM

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I had to laugh about the squirrel. The house kitty corner from our back yard has Walnut trees. We have an oak tree in the back corner where the corner of our land meets. The other day one of my Min Pins had something in his mouth when he came in the house. Horrors!! Was that a piece of POOP?? Nope, the squirrels are gifting my dogs walnut covers, lol.
xx, Carol

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am rooting for your caterpillars too! Hope there will be lots of butterfly pics in our future.

Mystic Quilter said...

One of the pleasures of Summer is watching the Monarch caterpillars grow and munch the milkweed leaves, here we all grow what are known as Swan plants for the Monarchs, a much thinner leaf than the ones in your photo and they're very tall plants.

Tilkunviilaaja said...

Squirrels like to make a mess! We have fir and spruce trees near the edge of our yard, and the squirrels will pick the cones and bring them over to a branch that reaches our area, I'm sure. It's difficult to understand how much mess their cone eating can create! And when I sweep an area, it won't take long before the squirrels are again at it, making a mess from above. They must do this on purpose. :-)

Anna Schneehagen said...

Here in New Zealand they mainly feed on swan plants, a real pretty plant btw. Don't know if you have it in the US, too?