Friday, August 16, 2019

Basting done...........

I finished thread basting the African fabric quilt.  Now I need to finish quilting the X and + quilt with my straight stitch machine so I can start quilting this one.




I pressed the last batch of scrappy batik Hunter star blocks and decided to see how they all look up on the design wall.  This is a long term project started last year and in no hurry to finish this year.  I'll keep cutting blocks as I have batiks out to cut for other projects.


I washed the black and white quilt that I used the Warm and Plush batting (by the Warm and Natural company) in and it shrunk quite a bit.  It was only 44" x 68" when I finished it and now it is 42" x 64.75".  That is more than Hobbs Heirloom shrinks.  The quilt is definitely crinkly.





Last night I pulled out my smallest Kaffe scraps and cut a bunch more squares for the postage stamp quilt.  This is only 6 pieces more than I need for ONE block.




I planted some zinnias late and they are just starting to bloom.  Only about a dozen plants grew from close to 30 seeds.




12 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The Hunters Star is absolutely sparkling. This year I planted tall zinnias, and after a round of picking Japanese beetles off for a week, the tall ones are lovely and full. They are such sturdy flowers.

Julierose said...

The African piece is lovely as well as the hunter's Star...I wonder why no many zinnias grew? Funny how that'll happen sometimes...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I know you have a long arm that you use but you also quilt some of your quilts on a domestic machine- which is I assume why you are thread basting some of the quilts - can you tell us how you decide which way you will quilt your quilts - long arm vs domestic? I'm just curious! I love all of these that you show today. I tossed a package of mixed flower seeds into one bed and have mainly zinnas growing and some are very small flower and some are larger.

Nancy said...

The African Fabrics quilt is looking dazzling as is the Hunter Star. A design wall is such a great tool for envisioning how you want the quilt to look.

Needled Mom said...

The African prints is going to be such a pretty quilt. Of course, I absolutely love the Hunter's Star. Those colors are just fabulous.

Debbie said...

I love your Hunter's Star version here.....so much variety. I love the two color versions, but I think this is the very best ever!

JJM said...

X & +, hunters star, black & white, which I love the crinkles, more squares for your postage stamp, and a smiling zennia . A lovely post today Wanda.

JJM

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you got such a poor return on your zinnias - last year I planted a package of some fancy expensive zinnia seeds and only 3 bloomed, and they were all sort of dingy white. This year I planted 3 packs of Dollar Store zinnia seeds and am loaded down with blooming zinnias, go figure.

Love the African fabrics quilt, so vibrant!

ceci

Vicki W said...

Oh my, that scrappy hunter's star is fabulous! I may have to borrow that idea. I have the die and haven't opened it yet!

MissPat said...

I have the Studio 180 Hunters Star ruler and tons of batiks, so your batik Hunters Star really appeals to me. I bought half a flat of zinnia seedlings from the cub scouts and they are lovely, but quite dwarf with very short stems, so they work fine as a bedding plant, but not for cut flowers. I don't have luck starting from seed.
Pat

Tammy Hutchinson said...

Lovely colors all! To me, even three zinnias are worth the effort of planting!

Eulalia Isabel said...

QUE hermosos . lucen hermosos los recortes de tela.
me encantan ya cosidos ,la cantidad de modelos.

saludos