Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Not fun pressing...........

The fun of the OBW is playing with the layout of each block and then going to the design wall when the half blocks are sewn.  Since all seams are pressed open in this quilt it just isn't fun to complete; so much time at the ironing board.  I have the first 4 columns sewn together and the top portion of the next 7 columns.  All of the rest is loose half blocks on the wall.  I think it is going to come out about 34" x 53".  That is my best guess from measuring the portion that is already sewn.

The only thing that keeps me going is the lovely designs in the centers of the blocks.











It is always a surprise when the seams are all sewn.









This one was really a surprise how the green center thing joined up with the purple stripes.









As I mentioned in an earlier post I forgot to take a photo of the fabric before I cut the blocks and all I had left was a 3" strip of the fabric which I showed on that post.  Luckily one of my 2 sewing friends had some of the same fabric and was kind enough to take a photo of her piece for me last night.  The selvage says Stack-n-Whack™ Seasonal Magic by Bethany Reynolds

10 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I don't think I ever noticed or saw a fabric designed for stack n whack quilts! Interesting. I love the serendipity of combining the parts and the patterns or wreaths that form.

patty a. said...

That is a lot of fussy cutting, sewing, and ironing, but the end result is beautiful! I would have never thought you could use a fabric with a stripe for a stack and whack.

Mary said...

Pressing quarter-inch seams open is a chore, but the result is beautiful.

Edith said...

Oh so beautiful, I love your layout.

Alice said...

So lovely. Need lots of patience for all the ironing. I’ve never seen this type of pattern. Makes a beautiful quilt.

Hedy said...

Bethany Reynolds is the lady who started this type of quilt according to my vintage quilt magazines. I made one of these but won’t make another. It turned out too small for me and was expensive. Yours is truly beautiful.

Linda Swanekamp said...

All the little surprises are wonderful. Soon, ironing will be just a memory and you will enjoy the whole quilt.

JJM said...

Wanda ~ I love, love, love this quilt. Again creating each block to bring out such unique designs. Original fabric is awesome, and for you to see even more potential in that piece for each block is amazing .

JJM

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your blocks!! I made the lazy version - a "4-Patch Posie" - got a similar look with far less work - LOL - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Loving the colors in this one -- I agree that pressing seams open in tedious, but sometimes we just have to do it anyway.