Monday, January 12, 2009

More colorful fun

Last night I made a few more blocks for "my current favorite" series. Last week I mentioned that I had to come up with a better name. Jean at http://quiltinjeanie.blogspot.com/ mentioned that they reminded her of cobblestones and she has posted a picture that her nephew took in Spain.


Here is the pile of blocks left over from last year.
Jean's comment reminded me of a couple pictures I had taken in the Cotswold's in England in 1997. I loved this little patch of sidewalk.
I also love stone building and thought that the side of this one resembled the structure of my quilt. Now I have to think about how I want to use the word cobblestones in my series, or maybe it should just be Cobblestones 1, Cobblestones 2, etc.
What would a post in winter be without a few snow pictures? First is sedum flowers piled with snow. I realized that the one I said was asters a couple days ago was really another patch of sedum flowers.The pile of snow on the edge of my driveway. The land slopes down toward the neighbor's house so it isn't really as tall as the car in her driveway. I took this picture just before the snow plow guy came and did the driveway so the pile is a little higher now.
And of course one of the critters cleaning up the bird seed I spilled when filling the feeder.
Here is the tree in the backyard again. Now it is almost covered with snow.

We had a clear day yesterday, no new snow. The next batch is supposed to come this afternoon. Following it is 45 mph winds and brutally cold temperatures all week. It sounds like a good sewing week.

12 comments:

Jackie Russell said...

I love the little cobblestone blocks.

Vicki W said...

That is a LOT of snow! Yes, the upcoming week sounds like great sewing time.

Cathi said...

Yours will be the prettiest cobblestones seen!!
We're supposed to get snow starting tonight and then a week of horribly cold temperatures. I am staying in!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the "cobblestone" great name for them. My daughter lives in Wisconsin and they have a lot of snow too - I don't know how I would handle living in the northern states anymore with such long winters - I am used to our short winters in Arkansas now - I live to see the snow but always glad when it melts after a couple days.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

jovaliquilts said...

Cobblestones is a great name. And I always think of scrappy quilts as being cobbled together, so it works in lots of ways. Hang in there through the snow.

Carmen Rose said...

Cobblestones are great! And my favorite quilt shop is up a cobblestone drive. It all fits! :)

SueR said...

I love seeing the pictures around your yard. Considering that I'm in Maine, we seem to get the least amount of snow in the northern states. We got about 3 inches the other day, but boy, has it been cold! The rail fence quilt looks so nice, I like the flashes of orange in it. Cobblestones is a good name for the new blocks.

Unknown said...

I like the idea of cobblestones for the name of your series. It seems to fit. We are definitely getting your snow and bitter cold weather. You are "sew" right that it is great to stay in and sew.

TB said...

The cobblestone reference works well. I love the cobblestone walk.

Jean said...

I love it! Your pix are great, especially the curved sidewalk. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
I love the cobblestone idea. You could have both cobblestones (your current favorite) and cobblesticks (your second favorite).
All the names I thought of were so lame you're better off not hearing them.
I see you sent your snow storm my way (West Mich) but I can't blame you for the coming cold.
Vicky F

meggie said...

I love the cobblestone walk!
Love all the snow pics of course.