Thursday, January 15, 2009

Keeping warm

It was -18 degrees this morning, even colder before I got up if I can believe the weatherman. It is good sewing weather. I did have to go out to get groceries for my parents yesterday and with the sun shining and very little wind it was bearable. The streets were all coated with clean white snow (no ice melter yet) and it reminded me of my childhood with snow covered gravel roads.

I started working on this quilt with embroidered center squares. The coral and yellow fabrics are leftover from this quilt. I was going to do strips between these 15" nine patches but now I think I will just put them edge to edge which just makes a giant checkerboard.


I just had to include one more snow picture. This is my spirea bush which is usually quite airy looking. Now it is a solid snowball with a few delicate branches peeking out.

I think I will clean off a couple table tops and then sew some more today.

15 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

The pinks are so refreshing and "warm" looking. Nice.

Fabric Fanatic said...

I've really been enjoying your series of snow pictures. I remember visiting my mom at the farm one year (Shelbyville) and we got snowed in. We spent our days in the kitchen playing cards while listening to her cb, reading, and eating. It was so cold, but we had the doorway covered with a blanket and even though we didn't do much, we still lost weight. It was so beautiful out.

Eva said...

Sometimes I can taste colours. These are definitely raspberry and vanilla.

Heather said...

Love your blog, Wanda! Such gorgeous quilts and your snow photos are wonderful (even though we have more than our share here in MN)! I found you by way of Jean's Page, and I'm sure I'll be back. ;o)

Take care!

Cathi said...

Those are the most delicious 9-patches I've seen!! Absolutely gorgeous!! Of course, I love pink so ...

Unknown said...

That sounds like a fantastic plan for such a chilly day. We never did get all the snow that the weatherman was predicting and I am okay with that. However, it is bitter cold. I really like your blocks and can't wait to see where you take them.

Maggi said...

Lovely warm colours. Is the embroidery done on an embroidery machine, if so I really must learn how to use mine!

Emma said...

I'm loving all the snow photo, too. Something to cool my thoughts when it's 42C outside as it was the other day here! Beautiful corals, too!

Candy Schultz said...

We made it all the way up to 9 degrees today. Makes me glad I don't have to go anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Giant Checkerboard is stunning. The embroidered center squares gleam with perfection.

J~MT

p.s. I had to click on 'refresh' to get todays post. As you can see it worked.

Purple Pam said...

That Turning 20 Again quilt is super. I want to do a quilt for my stylist, and his favorite color is black! What can I do with that? Maybe a Turning 20 Again quilt!

How do you stay warm? Your heating bill must be out of site! I will try not to whine about our "cold" weather again!

Jean said...

These are really cute. Did you do the embroidery on them? Sort of springy for a cold (-15 in Iowa this AM) day. I like the snowy bush pic too...snow really is pretty as long as you aren't trying to drive through it.

meggie said...

The pinks are lovely.

Anonymous said...

A funny thing about your snow scene picture (and by extension our current fabric companies)-- it looks just like the flannel fabric I bought from Keepsake Quilting a few months ago to back a quilt! (fabric #2487C and quilt kit #2486).

Just goes to show the fabric designers really understand what inspires quilters. --- Vivian

Tine said...

The checkerboard is wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing that top :)
And I love your snow pictures!